Eight hundred people from 91 nations attended the opening plenaryof the Universal Peace Federation’s Summit at the Sheraton Grande Walkerhill Hotel.
Faith leaders opened the Summit by offering prayers and lighting candles for peace.
• Peace and security areAFGHANISTAN blessings from God. • It is vital to use all the teachings that come from God and take wise and bold measures to establish lasting peace and security. H.E. Mohammad Karim Khalili, Vice President
• Our region consists ofALBANIA Allied countries, aspirant countries, and partners with NATO or the EU. • Security and defense reforms in the region have grossly reduced the risks of conventional Prof. Dr. Arta Musaraj, Deputy Minister of Defense confrontation.
• The more the followingAUSTRALIA factors are present, the higher the well-being of people: free enterprise, genuine democratic government, rule of law, opposition toHon. David JohnClarke, Member, Legislative totalitarianism, upholdingCouncil of the Parliament ofNew South Wales the family unit, religious tolerance, and God- centered values.
• Where I was born, weAUSTRIA could hear the shooting of the border police; now we can cross the border freely. • This has been a complicated solution, but a very successful one. Dr. Werner Fasslabend, Minister of Defense, 1990 to 2000
• Russia has been seeking forms of integration thatBELARUS would assert its supremacy and at the same time encourage the CIS countries to join associations proposed by Russia. • The post-Soviet space in Europe and Asia wentH.E. StanislavShushkevich, Chair of the through revolutionarySupreme Council, 1991 to 1994 upheavals; but it seems that old patterns may prevail.
• Knowing the horrors ofFEDERATION OF BOSNIAAND HERZEGOVINA war, today as a politician I act in a way so that those horrors of war would not happen again, neither to us nor to others.H.E. ZivkoBudimir, President
• The Arusha Accords allowed usBURUNDI to achieve a rapprochement between the Hutu majority and the Tutsi minority, the negotiation of a cease-fire with rebel Hutus with the backing of the Tutsi leadership, a peaceful integration of rebel fighters into the nationalH.E. DomitienNdayizeye, President, 2003 army, the organization ofto 2005 national elections, and the inauguration of a newly elected President.
• The main reason for humanCANADA development differences in the Americas is that some populations enjoy better representative government with good constitutions and institutions of governance, the rule ofHon. DavidKilgour, Secretary of State law, and the sanctity offor Latin America andAfrica, 1997 to 2002 private property for all.
• International security willPEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OFCHINA face three major threats in the 21st century: threat from increasing network attacks, threat from climate change to human survival andDr. Mingjun development, and threatJiang, GeneralDirector, International from biological weaponsEco-Safety CooperativeOrganization in the future.
• The deployment of aDEMOCRATIC REPUBLICOF THE CONGO Neutral International Force to secure the problematic Eastern border of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, especially with Rwanda and Uganda, will certainly help to create theHon. Mr. Lambert MendeOmalanga, Minister of Information conditions for a lasting peace.
• Faith, persistence andEGYPT adherence to the principles of respect and dialogue can and will carry us through. • Egypt throughout its history has been known to promote and support action towards peace andHon. Hisham peaceful coexistence withinBadr, AssistantMinister ofForeign Affairs and between nations.
• The culture of peace meansEGYPT above all understanding the Other in its difference, understanding the stranger, understanding the one who belongs to another nation, another ethnic group, anotherDr. Sonia Ramzi,former Head of the religion.Promotion of CulturalHeritage, UNESCO • A stranger is a friend whom I have not yet met.
• The corrupt tendencies by some in the privateGHANA sector, especially the foreign ones, are causing havoc in Africa, and they are doing it with impunity. • Ordinary people at the grassroots normally do not harbor ethnic or religiousH.E. JerryRawlings, President hateful feelings against one, 1981 to 2000 another when governments ensure the rule of law or justice.
• Tolerance and harmony among faiths is practiced inGUINEA-BISSAU our cities and villages. • However, people’s economic and social well- being worsened with the instability that the country experienced in the last decade and a half; and onlyH.E. Manuel Serifo Nhamadjo,President a legitimate government, based on popular will expressed at the polls and imbued with patriotic spirit, can halt and reverse the process.
• You cannot imagine what itISRAEL means for a man like me, coming from Israel, to sit down to dinner here with my neighbors from Arab countries. • This is more than I couldHon. Ran have believed wouldCohen, Member of theKnesset, 1984 to 2009 happen in all my 20 years of working for peace.
• Due to the incredible difficulty in de-nuclearizingJAPAN Pyongyang, the international community must respond with either massive rewards or harsh penalties. • We should envisage the tentative freezing of the nuclear and missile development program and/or its oversight by theAmb. Tetsuya Endo,former Ambassador in Charge International Atomic Energyof Japan-North KoreaNormalization Talks, former Agency or another UNVice Chairman of the AtomicEnergy Commission agency, with the ultimate objective of total de- nuclearization.
• A nation should have the primary responsibility for itsJAPAN own political system and make it suit its peculiar situation, such as its history, tradition, culture, an d popular dispositions. • The international community should honor a country’s endeavors and extendAmb. Yoichi indirect help such as officialYamaguchi, formerAmbassador to Turkey developmentand Myanmar aid, trade, investment, techn ology transfer, tourism, and academic and cultural exchanges.
• The international community has a mission to support theJORDAN Arab peoples in the process of reform and transformation toward justice, democracy, and human dignity. • This means it also has to move with full force to stand in the face of the dictatorialDr. Hamdi Murad,Professor at the World Islamic regimes and thwart theirSciences and EducationUniversity, Amman plans and crimes against their peoples -- not to remain silent or stand by hesitating to move against these bloody
• Let us work together toREPUBLIC OF KOREA build ideal families and nations, and let us join together as nations, as religions, as members of civil society to create one family under God.Dr. Hyung JinMoon, Chairman.Universal PeaceFederation
• Reunification should takeREPUBLIC OF KOREA place through peace; it takes time. • There should be a de facto reunification before the legal reunification; this would reduce expenditures and help transform theGen. Dong WonLim, Minister of ceasefire to a peace treaty.Unification during theadministration of KoreanPresident Kim Dae-jung, 1998 to 2003
• I insisted on reconciliationKOSOVO and normalization of relations with Serbia. • I am proud that my son and all our children will never again live in fear, will never again be taught of hate.Hon. HashimThaci, Prime Minister
• In the name of ourMALI common human family, in the name of humanity, I appeal for your help for my country, OUR country, Mali, to come out of its dangerous impasse.Mme Mintou DoucoureTraore, First Lady
• A pattern of thinking more about society than ones ownMONGOLIA family, more about the nation than ones society, and more about the world than ones own nation has been cultivated in the Mongolian mind-set. • In the 21st century, with its overwhelming moralH.E. PunsalmaagiinOchirbat, President, 1990 to decline, the Mongolians1997 merit of morality passed on through their lineage should be awakened.
• There needs to be anNEPAL innovative strategy for steady economic growth, and this must be based on an inclusive, cooperative mindset. • Cooperation is the only way Hon. Ek Nath out of the current Dhakal, Minister of Cooperatives and Poverty economic and political Alleviation crisis.
• Peace is hard work; at theTHE NETHERLANDS end of the day, we keep peace only if we keep our commitment. • Are we prepared to keep our commitment, even when it becomes difficult? Dr. Willem van Eekelen, Former Defense Minister, Former Deputy Foreign Minister
• We must overcomeNICARAGUA poverty and underdevelopment creating more jobs, sustainable and in an appropriate number, to slow the migration of millions ofH.E. Arnoldo AlemanLacayo, President, 1997 to Latin Americans who2002 leave their homes in search of employment and a better future.
• What is needed is an integrated andNIGERIA comprehensive yet coherent approach that includes, in addition to political and military activities, transparent and urgent improvements in the areas of environmentalProf. Ibrahim Gambari, protection, humanformer UN Under-Secretary-General for Political rights, goodAffairs, former Joint AfricanUnion-United Nations Special governance, democratizationRepresentative for Darfur , economic growth, and poverty eradication.
• From my experience at anPANAMA NGO aimed at promoting development opportunities for families in extreme poverty and eliminate hazardous child labor, we realized that for a country to achieve realHon. Roxana MendezObarrio, Mayor, Panama City peace, freedom, and democracy we must eradicate poverty and the lack of education.
• We need to askNEW ZEALAND ourselves, are we prepared and ready to help others? • Will we defend not only our own liberty and freedom but that of those who are strangers to us?Mr. Colin • Will we keep helping untilCraig, FoundingLeader of the people can stand on theirConservative Party own?
• The world has the prospectRUSSIAN FEDERATION of creating a single global ethics on the basis of norms of behavior that are actually being practiced in modern societies. • Economics, science, politics, and other spheres of activityHon. Elena Drapeko, have reached such a degreeFirst Vice Chair of theCommittee of Culture,State Parliament of complexity that they can operate successfully only in single social systems.
• We have to overcomeSAO TOME AND PRINCIPE differences between cultures and establish harmony between all kinds of people. • Each of us can contribute to peace, humanHon. Alcino Martinho de Barros rights, and a stable society.Pinto, President of the NationalAssembly
• During a time of conflictSOLOMON ISLANDS between the people of the two largest islands, the women of the islands banded together to help defuse the conflict.Mme Bronwyn NodaLilo, wife of the PrimeMinister
• I attempted to create in mySRI LANKA constituency a center for all religions to be respected and honored; I wanted people to be able to visualize the ideals of religious harmony, to actually see it, feel it and touch it.Hon. D. M. Jayaratne,Prime Minister • In this interfaith peace park there is a Buddhist temple, a Christian church, a Hindu kovil, and a Muslim mosque.
• Peaceful and stableTANZANIA neighboring countries open the way for economic integration and promotion of investment and trade. • As brothers and sisters, as mothers and fathers, as aMme Tunu Rehani young generation, wePinda, wife of the PrimeMinister should uphold the sanctity of humanity before our ambitions and desires.
• The New Deal brings aTIMOR-LESTE new hope for the sustainable development of fragile States, enabling better leadership by the recipient countries and better coordination ofHon. XananaGusmao, Prime international assistance.Minister
• The struggle today is between trueUNITED KINGDOM religion, which is life- enhancing, and false religion, which is death- dealing. A crime in the name of God is a crime against God. • The task of trying toRev. Dr. MarcusBraybrooke, Chairman. World persuade extremists toCongress of Faiths abandon their point of view has to be taken up by the interfaith community.
• Only when nations areUNITED STATES prosperous can we begin to use our knowledge and our talents to help the less fortunate. • And only when free nations can continue to build strong families with a GodHon. Dennis Hastert,Speaker of the House of centered value system canRepresentatives, 1999 to 2007 we hope to become a better world.
• Peace at any priceUNITED STATES guarantees defeat, servitude, and ultimately a peace that no one who loves freedom would want. • In the world and in the Americas, peace andHon. DanBurton, Member of freedom can only come toCongress, 1983 to2013 a people who are strong enough and willing enough to defend these freedoms.
• More than 30 African statesZIMBABWE have embraced a new thinking that puts “people” first in their national agenda. • These countries, under the guidance of youngHon. Morgan R. leaders, are steering theTsvangirai, Prime Minister continent towards a positive era of Afro- optimism.
The path to peace, prosperity, and human development involves cooperation amonggovernments, civil society, the private sector, the media, and people of faith..