The pursuit of furthering human knowledge
• LHC/ Higgs Discovery: A global media event
• Communication and Outreach
• Three challenges
Identifying/Building audience (students, teachers,
physicists, fundraising agencies)
ii. CERN’s international character (more than 130
iii. New media/Digital age
• Visit CERN!
• Connect to CERN!
• Inspired by CERN!
…and travelling exhibitions “Accelerating Science”
Big Bang, particles and matter, LHC, Technologies and Applications
Your passport to the Big Bang
• A 54km route – 10 different points
• Operate the Large Hadron Collider
(LHC) and travel to the origins of the
• Collaborating with local community
European Researcher’s Night– Origins
• 2012: Local Schools visiting Control Rooms of the four LHC
experiments – meeting and discussing with scientists.
• 2013: Discussing results from the LHC, Planck mission and
ALMA telescope. (Geneva, Paris, Bologna)
• Origins 2013 YouTube Channel:
Connect to CERN…
Started in 2010
200 visits in 2013
• Increasing number both from E.U. members and from America, Africa and
the Asia-Pacific Region.
• CMS and ALICE recently started their own programme of virtual visits
• 2012-2013 – A Series of Regular Hangouts with CERN.
Submit your question: YouTube, FB, twitter, reddit.
Webpage (recordings,announcements): http://hangouts.web.cern.ch/
• Teach your class from the LHC: http://youtube/_srNfWdOiqI?t=4m28s
• Walk around the detectors of the four LHC experiments:
Social Media and Applications
• CERN and the outreach groups of
(ATLAS, CMS, ALICE, LHCb) have
their own social media accounts
(twitter, facebook, G+)
CERN held a tweetup on Friday 27 September 2013,
on the eve of the CERN Open
• Android και iOS: CERN app (SFT
group), OpenDays app (ΙΤ group),
• Reach an increasingly diverse audience
• Digital technologies – Is something changing in the
form of the message?
• Creating a culture of communications; An invitation
to scientists and researchers.
Inspired by CERN…
• Physics/Science as part of modern culture – Opening
new spaces of dialogue.
• Translating/Interpreting research results
- different language/codes
- marginalized/excluded groups
- a more active audience
• Mediating between the local and the global: CERN
and Future Libraries
Big Bang Libraries
• Creativity Marathon: 06&07 December