DR. DILIP KUMAR
[Title of the Thesis: The Bivariate Negative Binomial Distribution
and Its Application to Population Sciences and other Areas.]
Patna University, Patna, India.
1987-88: MA in Population Research
University of Exeter, Exeter, UK.
1982-84: Diploma in Population Studies
International Institute for Population Sciences, Mumbai, India.
1979-81: M.Sc. (Statistics)
Patna University, Patna, India.
Sept. 2012-Till Date Additional Director, PRC, Patna University, Patna
June 2004 - Sept. 2012 Joint Director, PRC, Patna University, Patna.
1991-June 2000: Research Officer, PRC, Patna University, Patna.
1990-91: Senior Research Executive, Operations Research
Group, Vadodara (India).
1984-90: Research Officer, PRC, Patna University, Patna.
Special Training Received:
1) Govt. of India fellowship for two year Diploma
in Population Studies (1982/84) from International Inst. for
Population Sciences, Mumbai, India.
2) British Government fellowship (under ODA scheme)
for M.A in Population Research (1987/88) from Institute of
Population Studies, University of Exeter, Exeter, UK.
3) USAID grants for attending training on
Determinants of Contraceptive Use, Oct '93 from
East-West Population Inst., University of Hawaii,
Professional Membership: a) Life member of Indian Association for the Study of
b) Life member of Indian Society for the Medical Statistics
c) Honorary Director of Society for Population and
Development Studies, Patna (India).
Written 40 research articles/papers in the different books and
Journals of national and international repute. Coordinated and
completed 120 studies on population, health and nutrition issues
funded by the agencies namely; Unicef, WHO, Care India, World
Bank, Population Council, New York and Ministry of Health and
Family Welfare, Government of India, New Delhi.
Some Important publications:
1. Study of the awareness of RTI, STI and HIV/AIDS in Bihar.
2. National Family Health Survey (NFHS-2), Bihar, 1998-1999.
3. Rapid Household Survey-RCH Project, Bihar and Jharkhand, 1992-99.
4. Levels of Some Health Indicators of Bihar.
5. Heterosexual Behaviour of the Spread of AIDS.
6. Evaluating the Impact of Family Planning on Fertility in Bihar and Kerala: Based on
7. The Socio-Cultural and Personal Factors Governing IUD Performances, paper
accepted for the presentation in the International Union for the Scientific Study of
Population (IUSSP) Conference, Montreal, Canada, 24th Aug.-1st Sept., 1993.
8. An Appraisal of the Demand for Family Planning in Bihar, In: U.P. Sinha and
R.K.Sinha (1993) Population and Development in Bihar, B.R. Publishing Corporation,
9. A Technical Note on Index of Migration Differentials (with J. P. Singh), Genus,
Vol.XLVIII, No.1-2, 1992.
10. Some Demographic Estimates of the Schedule Tribes of Santhal Pargana, In: R.N.
Pati and et al. (1991) Tribal Demography in India, Asia Publishing House, New Delhi.
11. An Application of the Symmetrical Bivariate Negative Binomial Distribution, paper
presented at the International Union for the Scientific Study of Population (IUSSP)
Conference, New Delhi, 20-27th Sept. 1989 and published in: S.N. Singh and et al.
(1991) Population Transition in India, Asia Publishing House, New Delhi.
Foreign Travel: USA, UK and France.
Basic research, operations research on Health, Family Planning
and MCH care.
Methodological and theoretical research on Demography and
Training of Trainers/ professionals, Programme/Project
Monitoring and Evaluation, Project proposal writing on the
various issues of the population problems, raising awareness of
RTI, STI and HIV/AIDS.
Questionnaire preparation, training, survey research, data
processing on computer, data analysis and report writing.
Liaison with the National and International funding agencies for
the project funding.
Awareness raising and dissemination of the Report/ Research
findings through Conferences/Seminars.
Developing partnerships and providing technical support to
To guide students for the award of Ph.D. degree.
Capacity building and management work.
English, Hindi, Bhojpuri, Maithili.
DATE OF BIRTH 10th August 1959
MARITAL STATUS MARRIED