THE KNIGHTS TEMPLAR
AN INTRIGUING TALE OF TREASURES AND MYSTERY.
WHO WERE KNIGHTS TEMPLAR?
• FORMED IN 1119, INITIALLY A GROUP OF NINE PEOPLE.
• WARRIORS OF GOD.
• OFFICIALLY RECOGNIZED BY THE CATHOLIC CHURCH AS A MILITARY RELIGIOUS ORDER.
• GUESTED AT SOLOMON TEMPLE, TEMPLE MOUNT BY BALDWIN II.
• TOOK VOWS OF POVERTY, OBEDIENCE AND CELIBACY.
• Christian pilgrims travelling to Jerusalem along the coast of
Mediterranean were under threat.
• Constant threat to Jerusalem from Muslim ruler Saladin.
• Knights Templar were appointed to search
for sacred artefacts and monetary treasures.
• They were believed to have found the Holy
• It is the cup used by Jesus at the Last
• It was used to collect his blood at the crucifixion.
• Sacred bloodline Mary Magdalene gave birth to
Decline of the Knights Templar
• Jerusalem was captured in 1307 by Muslim ruler Saladin.
• With this the purpose of the Knights Templar was lost as the Christian rule had fallen in
• King Philip IV ordered for the arrest of the Templars on Friday, October 13, 1307.
• Friday the 13th is associated with this event.
• They were charged for false allegations like homosexuality, practising witchcraft and
• Pope Clement V officially disbanded the Knights Templar in 1312.