What’s the public perspective?
Transparency and Control
Making Contact (NRP)
“it made me feel empowered”
East Bay Express
Won a national award from the National Council on Crime and Delinquency
The I “Hella” Hate
Potholes Bike Hunt
From the Journalism Side
• Freelancers pitching the world
Freelancing 30 years ago
• Not that different today.
• It is an opaque process
Seven Small News Organizations
KALW New American Media
Oakland Local Placeblogger
Reporting Happens in Public
• The process of writing this crowd-funded story and of blogging
about it is going to be a new experience for me. The old method
of writing a story was to get approval from your editor, and then
the story was something of a secret except for those who needed
to know. When you were done, you published your story and you
wowed the city with it, and made your competitors at other Seattle
daily newspapers curse that they hadn't thought of it ﬁrst. (Or, at
least that was the fantasy that we journalists had.)
• So what's the process now? It's developing, that's for sure. I would
be very interested in hearing suggestions for aspects of the story
to cover, or things you'd be interested in reading in the blog.
What about Scoops!
• “For well-informed participation to
occur, it is argued that some version
of transparency, e.g. radical
transparency, is necessary, but not
• Rule of the Internet: Cheaper/
Easier to try than to debate
• Stems from “Agile and Iterative”
Fail early, fail often - try again.
You can steal this idea!
• No joke: There are several ways - ask me how.
P.S. It’s My Birthday!!!
You have a choice
Buy me a beer later
Donate to Spot.Us
Or clap extra loud
as I ﬁnish....