@dsvarner @dsvarner dvarnercommunications.com
Who am I? I coordinate data for integrated marketing
• Track health of packages through various methods
• Internal KPIs
• Google Analytics (Traffic, Content, Audience)
• Hubspot (List and data management)
In short, I am a data super hero. Like Trinity.
Data tells a story.
• It tells you how your digital kingdom operates, If
you know what to look for.
• It tells you where people go, what they like to use,
what they like to see.
• And you help build their experience, nudging them
where you think they might like.
Definitions & Clarifications
• CRM – Refers to Customer Relationship Management
• Salesforce, Hubspot
• Analytics – Information resulting from systematic
analysis of data
• Google Analytics, Abobe Omniture
• Captures user data through form conversion
• Subscription list, gated content, shopping cart
(account set up)
• Cookies users and provides information based on
• Once users convert, you collect better data on
• Implementation of basic analytics provides wholesale,
anonymous data on users
• How people find you, where they come from, what
they touch, and their journey through your site
• More advanced – Google Tag Manager
• Provides a robust tagging system to track how users
interact with content, campaigns
• eCommerce solutions
Real life example
Let’s say your website is like a grocery store.
• What would your analytics tell you?
• What would your CRM tell you?
• Big data v. Small Data
Google Analytics – Store data
• How many patrons? When they visit?
• Where your patrons come from: city, state,
• How they get to your store: bus, car, walk, Uber
• What aisles they walk down, what products they
look at, what items they buy
• This is BIG data
Hubspot – Store data
• Diane lives in Philadelphia, works in digital marketing,
• She is more likely to buy fruits and vegetables on sale than
use coupons for processed food
• She has considered buying Lipton tea but prefers Tazo
English breakfast, will buy generic Splenda
• This is SMALL data
Diane: Buys Tazo tea, Noosa Yogurt, Prefers 18
pack of eggs, spends an average of $65 per week
Benefits of bringing these two together:
• Adjust funnels
• Nudge users
• Adjust your overall digital strategy
• Determine your retention rate, comparing New V.
Returning, with recency of visits of users in CRM