Usage of the brand DETTOLgives rise to manyemotions in the consumers’ minds. Frommaking them feel safe and secure about thewell‐being of their family to making the motherfeel that she has done the best for herfamily, the brand evokes positive imageries andemotions. Thus, it is only fitting that the brand’stagline says ‐ Be 100% Sure.
Reckitt Benckiser• Reckitt Benckiser plc is a British multinational consumer goods company headquartered in Slough, United Kingdom.• Formed in December 1999 from the merger of Reckitt & Colman plc and Benckiser N.V.• It has operations in over 60 countries and its products are sold in over 180 countries.• Reckitt Benckiser is listed on the London Stock Exchange It had a market capitalisation of approximately £23.2 billion as of 23 December 2011, the 20th-largest of any company with a primary listing on the London Stock Exchange• Reckitt Benckiser owns a wide range of household brands in five main areas.
CATEGORY PERFORMANCE FOOD PHARMA 4% 8%PORTFOLIO BRANDS HEALTH 8% 21% HOME 21% HYGIENE 38%
DETTOL• As the worlds leading brand of antiseptics and a trusted champion of family health, Dettol products offer a high standard of germ kill and are recommended by healthcare professionals for their proven ability to keep families healthy.• The brand has stayed contemporary through the launch of new products and offered consumers a breadth of products across categories that can help protect them from germs.• These include bar soaps, hand sanitizers, liquid hand washes, shower gels and antibacterial wipes.
PRODUCTS UNDER DETTOLANTI SEPTIC LIQUID:Oldest and most popularProduct by dettol.SOAP: Includes many variants such asOriginalSkincareCoolRe-energize
HANDWASH: Liquid Hand wash withantibacterial properties available in :OriginalSkincareSensitiveFreshNO TOUCH HAND WASH: The No-Touch dispenser automatically senses your hands and dispenses an adequate amount of liquid soap.Available in:CucumberOriginal
BODYWASH: Includes body washes for men and women such as:OriginalSkincareNourishingSoothingShaving creams: Specially for men available in:FreshCool
Other products includeHandSanitizer: For soap, water free hand cleansingWashproof Medicated Plaster
Demographic:• Family Life Cycle:• Dettol Antiseptic Liquid’s segmentation for family life cycle is no segmentation at all. It’s a product for the whole family. Everyone from a kid to the grandfather can use the antiseptic liquid for various purposes.
Psychographic Segmentation:• Lifestyle: Dettol has segmented our modern days lifestyle which is more outdoors, unhygienic, and bacterial . So for the hygiene seeking consumers ,Dettol has come up with the antiseptic liquid for laundry, wounds and cuts, and house cleaning.
• Personality: Segmented the adventurous and daring personalities ,to support them with a very effective antiseptic liquid for their injuries and wounds.• Self-concept: It appeals to those people who are disinfectant freaks .
Behavioural Segmentation• Benefit : It appeals to the customers who expect a solution with very effective antiseptic properties for cleaning wounds, laundry, and house cleaning.• User Status : It had targeted both the brand and category users with its “Aapka Dettol KyaKya Karta Hai” campaign – that showcased how brand users across the country had formed their own special bond with the brand – using it whenever and wherever they felt a need for disinfection.
• Usage rate: they have various packings for different types of consumers on the basis of quantity consumed ,ranging from 50ml to 500ml.• Purchase Occasions : It doesn’t have any specific occasion for purchasing ,although it tries to promote its sales on various occasions. Like: Mother’s Day
• Loyalty Status : Dettol mostly has hard core loyalty status.• Buyer Readiness: Dettol has very high buyer readiness. Since years it has been used in Indian Households for various purposes due to its antiseptic and disinfectant property.
• Product specialization – Single product type for all markets.• Single type of antiseptic liquid for all markets like : household, laundry, hospitals, etc.• Its of a very universal nature, so targeting is done keeping in mind the entire section of consumers irrespective of their markets.
• Although it was being used in hospitals and nursing homes for first aid and disinfectant uses like cleaning wards,washinglinen, etc.• Consumers were also using it for bathing, mopping, shaving and other secondary purposes. While it started its journey as the ‘cuts and wounds’ brand in the country,• over the years it had taken over the role of ‘protector from germs’ in every situation.
• Dettol Antiseptic Liquid has some strong, distinct associations-first and foremost is its trademark smell(POD). Who can miss the characteristic Dettol smell that has been the reassurance to many a child’s scraped knee! Consumers recognize the smell enough to refer to a medicinally clean room as ‘Dettol like smell’.
• In the book, ‘Planning of Power Advertising’, Anand Halve mentions, “It is a safe bet that you will be able to tell the smell of Dettol liquid on a cut with the reassuring tingling sensation which tells you it has begun to work. Savlon on the other does not have the same burning sensation, (and is) very often seen by consumers as ‘ineffective’ ”.
• The second characteristic is its amber gold colour. The third is the ‘clouding’ effect that appears when it is added to water.• Dettol’s packaging is distinct in its very own way. The green & white colours are associated with hospitals.
• All Dettol products have a sword on the pack, which is a symbol for fighting germs and infection.• Over the years, the clouding action and the sword have become synonymous with the brand and have been creatively used in Dettol advertising.
Dettol Antiseptic Liquid is a versatileproduct, which has many uses for protectingyour family from germs-Use with bathing water for a completely germ- free bathUse with mopping water to disinfect floors completelyUse in washing laundry to disinfect your clothes
For first aid and personal care uses, Dettol Antiseptic Liquid must always be used diluted with water.Available in a wide range of sizes from 50 ml to 500 ml. For detailed usage instructions see back label of product.
Anti-bacterial, Anti-fungal, Anti-viral effect by PCMX, a specialized antibacterial ingredient. Unique Dettol fragrance by pine-oil ingredient. Excellent to eliminate Salmonella, E.Coli, 0-157, Acne- causing bacteria, body odour-causing bacteria, etc. The reliable brand recommended by doctors around the world for the personal hygienic life. Recommended by Korea Medical Association for the first time ever in Korea. The Specialized Antibacterial Brand with a variety of product line for your hygienically healthy life.
• Core Benefit: Dettol Liquid acts as an Antiseptic Solution to consumers for hygienic purposes.• Basic Product: Dettol Antiseptic Liquid mainly comes in glass bottles and is Brown in colour. It is available in sizes from up to 50 ml to 500 ml.• Expected Product: Dettol Antiseptic Liquid is supposed to provide antiseptic relief to consumers. The consumers await the burning sensation when applied on cuts.
• Potential Product: Dettol can come up with various new products such as antiseptic shampoos, oils and antiperspirant deodorants as well.
PRODUCT LIFE CYCLEThe stages through which individual products develop over time is calledcommonly known as the "Product Life Cycle.“
INTRODUCTION STAGE• CHARACTERISTICS • During an introduction phase of product life cycle , there are many costs involved in order to introduce the product into the market, expense involved in promotional activities, high operational costs etc. Due to this in majority of cases during introduction phase products tend to contribute negligibly towards profits.• Costs are very high.• Technology is unproven and not standardized.• Demand has to be created.• Little or no competition for the product.• No money is made at this stage.• Customers lack information and are hesitant to buy. Advertising is an effective tool
• The brand Dettol was launched in India in 1933 in the Antiseptic liquid form as a treatment for cuts and wounds. Although it was being used in hospitals and nursing homes for first aid and disinfectant uses like cleaning wards, washing linen, etc. Consumers were also using it for bathing, mopping, shaving and other secondary purposes.• The existence/creation of a consumer need for germ protection was satisfied by Dettol.• In building the segment, Dettol has played the role of the market leader and the innovator.• The need for germ protection is top most on consumer’s mind. Due to its early and continued efforts in building the segment and given the strength of the brand Dettol, this segment was historically dominated by Dettol Antiseptic Liquid.
GROWTH STAGE• CHARACTERISTICS • The Growth Stage is characterized by rapid growth in sales and profits.• Profits rise due to an increase in output (economies of scale)and possibly better price.• Public awareness increases.• Competition begins to increase with a few new players in establishing market.• Increased competition leads to price decreases.• Introduction of new distribution channels.
• The brand started its journey in 1933 as antiseptic liquid, but over the years, it has been extended to a number of product categories like toilet soaps, liquid handwash, liquid bodywash, shaving cream and plaster strips. For almost the first 50 years, Dettol was present only as an antiseptic liquid.• The growth of Each of these markets are at varying stages of evolution, so while in one market the brand ‐ as the leader ‐ had the responsibility of driving overall market growth, in other markets.• Trend in the last few years had been encouraging with shares showing an accelerated upward growth in most categories.• Although it was being used in hospitals and nursing homes for first aid and disinfectant uses like cleaning wards, washing linen, etc. Consumers were also using it for bathing, mopping, shaving and other secondary purposes.
MATURITY STAGE• CHARACTERISTICS • The Maturity Stage is the time when most profit is earned by the market as a whole.• Costs are lowered as a result of production volumes increasing and experience curve effect.• Sales volume peaks and market saturation is reached.• Increase in competitors entering the market.• Prices tend to drop due to the proliferation of competing products.• Brand differentiation and feature diversification is emphasized to maintain or increase market share.
• The market is dominated by Dettol Antiseptic Liquid, which has close to 85% share. Johnson & Johnson’s Savlon is the other significant player with a market share of 13%.• Consumers now see Dettol as an ‘expert’, as something which is effective and versatile and guarantees protection from germs. It has been likened to a bodyguard who protects them from the unclean and unhygienic outside world.• The brand’s versatility continues to stem from multiple uses of the antiseptic liquid which offers protection in so many different forms.• In early 2008, the brand’s communication took another step forward with its “Aapka Dettol Kya Kya Karta Hai” campaign – that showcased how brand users across the country had formed their own special bond with the brand – using it whenever and wherever they felt a need for disinfection.
DECLINE STAGE• CHARACTERISTICS • Costs become counter-optimal.• Sales volume decline.• Prices, profitability diminish.• Profit becomes more a challenge of production/distribution efficiency than increased sales.• Investment and capital practically cease. Returns decline.• Products tend to lose their brand power and become commodities.
PricingPricing is one area where dettol has been consistent.
Pricing StrategyGeographic PricingPremium PricingDiscount and Allowances
Dettol v/s savlonQuantity Dettol Savlon 50 ml 12 13100 ml 21 24200 ml 33 42500 ml 74 831000 ml 149 165
Logic Behind Dettol PricingDettol is cheaper than its competitor Savlon even though of its premium pricing strategy because of the following reasons• Burning Sensation• Clinically Savlon is proved better as dettol kills the WBC’s which fights the infection• Economy of scale because of a larger market share
Promotion StrategyDettoladvertising starting in 1960s has centered on educating consumers on the need for protection from germs, while offering solutions to manage the problem of germs wherever and whenever they may occur. Starting then and till now Dettol advertising has been focusing on the role of a mother in protecting her family.
Promotion tools Aapka Dettol DettolTelevision kya karta hai surakshit campaign parivar Seasonal 100% Internet discounts Attendance and combos awards Situational Advantages
PACKAGING – the fifth “p”• Packaging- also referred to as the fifth “P”• Packaging is the science, art, and technology of enclosing or protecting products for distribution, storage, sale, and use. Packaging also refers to the process of design, evaluation, and production of packages.
Factors contributing to emphasis on packaging• Self-Service- Packaging helps the buyer to buy the product individually without the help of any one.• Consumer Affluence- A good consumer who is ready to pay a good amount for a product is easily attracted by the packing style.• Company/Brand Image- Packaging helps build an image of the product as well as the brand. It distinguishes the product from the other competitive products in the market.• Innovation Opportunity- Packaging also gives the brand an opportunity to make its products attractive to the buyers with new and innovative packaging.
• Dettol’s packaging is distinct in its very own way. The green & white colours are associated with hospitals. All Dettol products have a sword on the pack, which is a symbol for fighting germs and infection. Over the years, the clouding action and the sword have become synonymous with the brand and have been creatively used in Dettol advertising.• This different style of packaging helps the buyers to easily recognize dettol products. Also, such packaging strategy builds an image in the minds of the buyers which they link to dettol before even buying it.
Packaging objectives• Identify the brand- One of the important objective of packaging is identification of brand. Packaging depicts a brand. Any product or brand is easily identified through packaging. E.g. A green colour logo which has a sword, is easily identified as a Dettol product by the buyers.• Convey descriptive and persuasive information- Packaging also helps to convey to the buyers the description and other important features of a product. E.g. Dettol handwashes are available in sizes like 150ml, 250ml pump and 200ml refill pouches.• Facilitate product transportation and protection- Protection is the main objective of packaging. It saves a product from being tampered and also facilitates easy transportation.• Assist at-home storage- It helps and directs a buyer on how to store the product at home. E.g. Dettol handwash available in pump bottles which helps in easy use and storage.• Aid product consumption- It also helps a buyer on the consumption of the product. E.g. Directions to use mentioned on all Dettol products.
RECKITT BENCKISER• Reckitt benckiserindia ltd (RBIL) is a fully owned subsidiary of reckittbenckiser plc., World’s no.1 company in household cleaning.• Reckitt benckiserindia ltd (RBIL) manufactures and markets a wide range of products in personal care, pest control, shoe care, antiseptics, surface care, fabric care and other categories.• Amongst its many well‐known brands are dettol, mortein, harpic, cherry blossom, lizol, disprin, robin powder, colin, etc.• Most of these brands are either number 1 or number 2 in their respective categories in india.
PRODUCT• Dettol antiseptic liquid is a product, which has many uses for protecting against germs. Used with mopping water to disinfect floors completely . Used in washing laundry to disinfect clothes. For first aid and personal care uses. Available in a wide range of sizes from 50ml to 5 litre.
DISTRIBUTION PROCESSMANUFACTURER SKU’S DISTRIBUTOR RETAILERS CUSTOMERS
DISTRIBUTION PROCESS1. MANUFACTURER : MANUFACTURER Manufacturing plant is located at Mumbaiin Marwa road. Manufacturer produces on a average 6000 –8000 kilolitres annually for sales. After manufacturingcompany sends its products to S.K.U and C&F agents all overIndia to distribute it to the distributor. 2. S.K.U OR C&F AGENTS :S.K.U OR C&F AGENTS It act as moderator between distributorand manufacturer. Company itself has established theirwarehouse where they keep their products and then S.K.U.distribute it to the market. It provide all local help to thecompany. It observe the market and give response about thedemand of the distributor.
3. DISTRIBUTOR :DISTRIBUTOR It is the most essential link between retailer and manufacturer.They enjoy a higher level of expertise, respond more quickly and have morelocal knowledge than manufacturer. They also act as an advisor for the futuregrowth of companies. They save the cost of logistics. They have experiencedhandling manpower. Expertise in local knowledge. DETTOL DISTRIBUTORName: PK AGENCIES Profit margin is 3 -5 % Distributor work according toACP(area chart plan) decided by company and distributor sales personnel. It islocated in SADA SHIV PETH.4. RETAILER :RETAILER It is an important link as its effectiveness will only benefit the otherlinks above it to survive in the competitive market. It is the final link wherecompanies effective marketing strategy will decide the demand and will makethe public aware of its existing product as retailers are medium for productdisplay. They have a profit margin of 7-8% over dettol.5. CUSTOMERS:Finally customers can buy dettol products from these retail shops or fromlocal grocery and medical stores.
SUGGESTIONS• Exclusive outlet: An exclusive branded show room concept with emergency first aid centre across tier 2 and 3 towns .Other Reckitt products can also find place. A kind of cause related marketing. It also can be a channel partner managed outlet.• Tie ups : Tie up with others giving firstaid facilities like in amusement parks, in-car first aid kits. Visibility will increase the mind share further.• Specialty Advertising can be the future…max coverage and low cost
• Dhir Karania• Riya Kothari• DhritiBadani• SagarAgarwal• SiddhantaSinghania• Jaineel Shah