OpenWeatherMap.orgOpen Meteorological technologies Speaker is Dennis Ukolov, architector Conference ‘Open GIS’ 17 Nov 2012
OpenWeatherMap project is inspired by Wikipedia and OpenStreetMap ideas We make weatherdata to be available to everyone.
We believe that enthusiasts joined by one ideacould reach more results than large companies.We believe that meteorological data must beavailable, free and easy-to-use.OpenWeatherMap.org provides you with: Weather in 120,000 cities Data from 40,000 weather stations all over the world 20 different weather maps
OpenWeatherMap.org is: 1 Interactive weather maps 2 History and forecasts 3 Analiticss 4 API 5 WiKi
OpenWeatherMap conception 3. Weather maps 1. Collecting of data fromweather stations Open Weather Map 4. API2. Forecasts ofmeteorological services
1. Data collection: Weather stations OpenWeatherMap receives data 40,000 weather stations from professional and private weather stations Private stationsProfessional stations
1. Data collections: Weather stations in Russia and Europe Density of weather stations.Situation with weather stations in Russia looks dramatically in comparison with Europe.
1. Data collection: How to use data from weather station After connection of the weather station it possible to build different types of charts using weather data from the station.- Wind rose- Pressure- Weather forecast-Temperaturevariation… and many others.
2. Forecasts: Types• Global and Local forecasts• GFS CMC WRF models We combine data from different forecasts with different scalability and accuracy Global (low Continent (middle Local (high accuracy) accuracy) accuracy)
2. Forecasts: Enthusiasts make a local weather WRF model is available as an OpenSource software. The model works on PCs of enthusiasts. Budget of the system is$5,000 Blade server 16 core
2. Forecasts: How to useWe combine data from different modelsBy combining global and local models itpossible to get global covering on the onehand and accurate detailed data forspecific locationsBase on these data we make interactiveweather maps
4. API: For whomeMobile applications Smart house Web applications Научное применение Scientific applications (oceanology)
4. API: How to use1. Mobile applications foriOS, Android, Windows Mobile2. Web-applications to display a currentweather, charts, widgets and many others.3. Smart house system, automatic gardenirrigation system etc.4. Agriculture and scientific applications.
4. API: Getting different kinds of data by JSON1. Current weather in city (more than 120,000cities)2. Current weather in location – lat/lon3. Forecast for 7 days in a compact or fullformats.4. Data from weather stations4. History
OpenWeatherMap architecture Open Source software: NgInx Apache PHP Tilecache OpenLayers /Leaflet Mapnik PostGIS Memcache MongoDB Gearman MySQL Python And more..
Future development of the OpenWeatherMap• Social aspects• External modules of calculation• Weather station expanding• Agriculture• Development of customized meteorological applications
Thank you!Join the project of Open Weather! denn@OpenWeatherMap.org Twitter @OpenWeatherMap