• Filmed horror began in the late 1700s and the genre within horror
was Gothic Horror.
• It was developed by writers within Great Britain and the USA.
• Gothic refers to all the medieval buildings where the stories took
place. An example of gothic is an old castle on a dark night
within a gloomy forests and dungeons and secret passage
• The famous gothic writers include Mary Shelly, Bram Stoker
and Edgar Allan Poe.
• Gothic horror films were inspired by Gothic literature.
• The term horror didn’t come into use until the 1930s however
there was certain film makers and film goers who had an
interest in this genre.
• Evidence of this is that the Lumiere brothers created a short
film called Spook Tale in 1895.
• There will be a short snippet on the next page.
FIRST HORROR MOVIE EVER MADE
• In 1896 Georges Méliès created what we believe to be the
first horror movie called The Haunted Castle or The Manor
of the Devil – no voice included, just silence and spooky
• The film involved bats, castles, trolls, ghost and a demon
played by Georges Méliès.
• After Germany had lost the war, the UFA decided they
should turn there goals to produce films for profit.
• In 1919 The Cabinet of Dr Caligari was written by Carl
Mayer and Hans Janowitz. They wanted this film to be
one of the greatest of all horror films.
• German filmmakers then made another film ‘The
Golem: How He Came into the World. This was made
in 1920 and lensed by Karl Freund.
• Universal Pictures is responsible for the first cycle of
horror films. During the silent era Universal Pictures did
have reasonable achievements.
• In the 30s, Universal really discovered horror as they made
there first hit Dracula directed by Tod Browning in
FRANKENSTEIN WITH NORIS KARLOFF – 1931
THE MUMMY BY KARL FREUND – 1932
INVISIBLE MAN BY JAMES WHALE – 1933
WEREWOLF IN LONDON BY STUART WALKER -1935
DRACULAS DAUGHTER BY HAMBERT HILLYER -1936
• When it got to the 1990s/2000S there was a
lot more thriller and psychological horrors
other than Gothic. Such as Final Destination,
The Sixth Sense, Se7en, The Others and The
• A lot of people decide to make fun out of thriller by turning it into a
comedy as well as thriller. An example of this is Shaun of The Dead
as it is zombie themed and they make a joke out of what is
• Evidence of the comedy elements within a horror is the actors tend
to be already famous for being in a comedy movie.
CONVENTIONS OF HORROR
• the setting of a horror film tends to
be in a dark and gloomy location. The
main meeting point or point of
location is a haunted house or a grave
yard during the night.
The film tends to start during the day
and then the horror begins at night or
it starts at night. The horror
activities rarely occur in daylight.
The meeting point so for example the
Haunted house would be away from
any sort of city or retail and just
deserted on its own.
The setting people gloomy and spooky
during the night help create the
impression that the characters are
CONVENTIONS OF HORROR
Clothing/ Make Up
• In horror movies characters are
expected to have some sort of blood