ALL ABOUT SIMPLE MACHINES
by Monica Findley
September 29, 2013
Have you ever
wondered how work
is made easy?
SIMPLE MACHINES SONG
VIDEO CREDIT: HTTP://WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/WATCH?V=YNUGBDSWSM4
Simple Machines make our work easy!
What are Simple Machines?"
Simple machines are tools that make our lives
easier. These tools enable us to use less
energy and less force to do work."
There are six types of Simple
Wheel & Axle
There are two parts that make up
the lever. The bar, which is called
the arm and the fulcrum or pivot
point. The lever helps us lift things
Photo Credit: http://www.michaelcawood.com/images/
Examples of the Lever
3 HOLE PUNCH
Here are some examples of a Lever that I found in the classroom. Can you think
of some other examples of a lever in your home or in the school building?
The Incline Plane is made up of a straight plane
that is tilted up. Heavy objects can be moved
from lower levels to higher levels."
Examples of an Inclined Plane
LEARNING COTTAGE RAMP
Incline planes are everywhere. How many Incline Planes can you
ﬁnd around you?
W ED G E
A Wedge is made up of two inclined planes. It
is used to raise or to split an object."
Examples of the Wedge
Here are some classroom and ofﬁce tools that are wedges. Can you think
of any other examples of a wedge?
The Screw is made up of an incline plane
wrapped around a pole. It holds objects
together or drills holes."
PHOTO CREDIT: HTTPS://WWW.GOOGLE.COM/SEARCH?AS_Q=A
Examples of the Screw
These screws help hold these objects together. Can you think what else screws
A Pulley is a made up from a wheel that is
wrapped with a cord or rope. A pulley
changes the direction of force and makes it
easy to hoist or lift objects.
PHOTO CREDIT: HTTPS://WWW.GOOGLE.COM/SEARCH?AS_Q=AN+ANIMATED
Examples of the Pulley
LAPTOP EXTENSION CORD
HERE ARE SOME PULLEYS THAT I FOUND AT SCHOOL. WHAT OTHER
PULLEYS CAN YOU THINK OF?
Wheel & Axle
A Wheel & Axle is a simple machine
made of a wheel that turns on a cylinder
or post, to help objects move quickly.
Photo Credit: ed101.bu.edu
Examples of a Wheel & Axle
How many other wheel & axle objects can you think of?
Do you understand simple
machines yet? "
Click on this link and play the Simple Machine Game:"
SIMPLE MACHINES SCIENCE COURT VIDEO
Write 2-3 paragraphs to answer the following questions:"
1. Based on the movie, what is the job that Joe Smoe
and Mary Murray do? "
2. How does Joe do his job and how does Mary do the
3. Do you think Joe Smoe works harder than Mary
Murray? Why or why not?
Science Experiment "
1. Click on the Young Engineers Science Club website
2. Work with a partner and choose an experiment. "
3. Discuss the experiment and your ﬁndings. "
4. Record your ﬁndings."
BILL NYE THE SCIENCE GUY VIDEO-SIMPLE MACHINES
Directions: Click the picture and Work with a partner to identify all of the simple
machines in a house or a shed.
How much have you learned? "
Let s take this quiz and see if we are Simple Machines Experts yet. "
Click the link below."
SIMPLE MACHINE QUIZ
* Edheads Simple Machine Interactive Activity. Available from
* Nye, B. (2013, March 1). Simple Machines[Video ﬁle]. Retrieved from
* Patricktoons12 (2013, June 20). Science Court: Work and Simple Machines [Video ﬁle].
Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro11TmGlSX4"
* Science Experiment Activity. Available from
* Science4us. (2012, January 12). Simple Machines Song[Video ﬁle]. Retrieved from
* Simple Machine Quiz. Available from
* Simple Machines Simulation Activity. Available from