A computer crime is any unlawful activity that isdone using a computer
The First Incident of CyberCrime The first major computer crimes came into being in the 1960’swhen a group of hackers emerged from MassachusettsInstitute ofTechnology. The first virus came into being in 1981. It was created on theApple II operating software and was spread through floppydisk, containing the operating software.
CYBERCRIMEHackingMalwareVirus andWormsDenial of Service AttacksSpamComputerVandalismObsceneContentFraudSoftware PiracyHarassmentCyber StalkingTrafficking
Types of Cyber Crime1. Viruses and WormsViruses are programs that attachthemselves to a computer or a file.They then circulate themselves to otherfiles and to other computers on anetwork.Worms, unlike viruses do not need thehost to attach themselves to.They merely make functional copies ofthemselves and do this repeatedly tillthey eat up all the available space on acomputers memory.
2. Denial-of-Service-AttacksThese attacks occur when a person or a group of people try to prevent ainternet site from functioning effectively either temporarily or on a longterm basis.3. MalwareMalware means malicious software. It is designed to secretly access anindividual’s computer without his/her permission.Most malware are software’s created with the intent of stealing data. Usingthese software’s, which are usually disguised as harmless pop-ups and such,information about the users is collected without their knowledge.
4. HackingHacking is unauthorized access over a computer system, andit usually involves modifying computer hardware or softwareto accomplish a goal outside the creator’s purpose.
5. Software PiracyUnauthorized copying of purchased software is called softwarepiracy.Making copies of the software for commercial distribution, orresale is illegal.However software piracy is still rampant around the globe,because it is almost impossible to put an end to it.
6. FraudOnline fraud and cheatingis one of the most lucrativebusinesses that are growingtoday in the cyber space.Some of the cases of online fraudand cheating that have come tolight are those relating to credit cardcrimes, bank fraud, contractualcrimes, internet scams, identity theft, extortion etc.
7. Cyber stalkingCyber stalking involves following a persons movementsacross the Internet by posting threatening messages on thebulletin boards frequented by the victim, entering the chat-rooms frequented by the victim, and constantly bombardingthe victim with emails.
8. Obscene or Offensive ContentIncludes contents of websites that may be distasteful,obscene, or offensive in many ways. One of the majorvictims of this type of crime is child pornography.Child pornography includes sexual images involving childrenunder puberty, puberty, and post-puberty and computer-generated images that appear to involve them in sexual acts.
9. HarassmentAny comment that may be considered degratory oroffensive is considered harassment. Harassment via theinternet occurs in chat rooms, social networking sites, and e-mails.
10.TraffickingTrafficking may assume different forms. It may be traffickingin drugs, human beings, arms or weapons.These forms oftrafficking are carried on under pseudonyms, encryptedemails, and other internet technology.
11. Computer VandalismVandalism means deliberately destroying or damagingproperty of another.These acts may take the form of the theft of a computer,some part of a computer or a peripheral attached to thecomputer, or by physically damaging a computer or itsperipherals.
12. SpamThe unwanted sending of bulk e-mail for commercialpurposes is called spam.Although this is a relatively minor crime, recently new anti-spam laws have cropped up to restrict the sending of thesee-mails.
Always use latest and updated antivirus softwares to guardagainst virus attacks.Avoid sending photographs online particularly to strangersand chat friends as there have been incidents of misuse ofthe photographs.Web site owners should watch internet traffic and check anyirregularity on the site. Putting host-based intrusion detectiondevices on servers may do this.Use a security program that gives control over the cookies andsends information back to the site, as leaving the cookiesunguarded might prove fatal.
Top 20 countries that commit the most Cyber Crimes