Approximate Query Processing
Deepak Goyal @WalmartLabs
• Distributed Processing and Database platforms
• Customer Backbone, Walmart Labs, Bengaluru
• Knowledge Graph, Bing, Microsoft, Hyderabad
• B. Tech. in CSE, International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad
• Processing and exploitation of cleansed data generates information.
• Data analysis converts information to intelligence.
• Exploring various forms of data.
• Searching for new data insights.
• Hence, making better business decisions.
Email marketing @Walmart
• Email marketing
Dedicated email campaigns for specific customers based on intelligence
gathered from data analytics.
• Customer Segmentation
Dividing a broad business market into smaller targeted audience segments for
• Segmentation base as a combination the following facets for example
Demographics age, gender, income, etc.
Geographic country, state, city, postal code, etc.
Psychographics lifestyle, social, personality, etc.
The Problem: Slow and Costly Data Analytics
• Limited cluster resources
• Long running analytic jobs
• Large number of short/medium length analytic jobs
• Large volumes of data
• Slow response times
implies Slow data analytics
The solution: Verdict
• A next generation approximate query processor
• Built upon the theories of approximate query processing (AQP)
• Based on the novel architecture of AQP-as-a-middleware
• Can reliably estimate many important statistics from a small fraction
of the entire data
• Exploits the state-of-the-art techniques from statistics
• Paves the way from slow exact results to fast resource-efficient good
Approximate Query Processing using Verdict
• Reduces the query processing cost
• Fewer resources
• No changes to the application
• Compatible with all SQL engines
• Highly accurate
• Faster results
• Enable continuous data exploration
Notes and References
• Verdict is developed primarily by the database group at the University
• Discuss further
• Mailing List: email@example.com
• Walmart folks
• Deepak Goyal firstname.lastname@example.org
• Giridhar Addepalli email@example.com
• Chirag Singla firstname.lastname@example.org