How to Utilize
to Grow Your Business
Deborah Deras, M.S., C.R.C.
Faculty at the University of Phoenix
Prepared for: West Orange County Regional
Chamber of Commerce
Objectives of Module
• Discover how to use Facebook, Twitter and
Linked In & Instagram to grow your business
• Discover the function of each platform
• How to utilize each for your unique goals
• Leave with a better understanding on how to
use Social Media as a tool to grow your brand,
expand your network and improve sales
Your Facilitator (ETR)
• 12 year Business Owner, Speaker & Consultant
• CEO of Synergy Unlimited LLC
• Started with Zero Capitol except sweat equity
• Author of Confessions of an Adrenaline Addict
• Presented at Fortune 100 Companies: J.P.
Morgan, Macy’s, NY Life, etc.
• I have sustained my business with no capital
through word of mouth and social media
Guidelines for Workshop
• Be present
• Write questions-will take them at the end
• Take what you like leave the rest
• If you like something be sure to use it
• The key to master any new skill is to
practice, practice, practice
• Focus on highest ROI activity
What do you want to know?
• What do you want to leave this workshop
• What do you want to know more about?
• What is your biggest challenge when it
comes to social media?
Why Learn Social Media
• Bottom line our NetWork is our NetWorth
• It is imperative for our businesses to grow
and thrive that we do not put all our eggs in
• To save us time from always being out
networking social media allows us to network
from our desk and create SYNERGY!!!!
Social Media Facts
• Facebook if it were on the country would be the
• In 2012, over 1 billion users worldwide making
it the #1 reason people go online
• Every second someone is joining LinkedIn
• The fastest growing group is 45-54 year olds
• Facebook has biggest impact on purchasing
Rules of Social Media
• Be mindful not to put anything up that you
wouldn’t be proud of your best client seeing
• Be thoughtful and strategic about posting. For
a free social media plan go to
• Remember, it is a relationship so reciprocate.
• Use the 30/30/30 rule to post 30% personal to
get to know and trust you, 30%
contribution, 30% selling your services or ask
• WHAT: Twitter allows you to communicate
with hundreds or thousands of people online
without any permission based acceptance
– In 140 characters or less you can using the
– @ address anyone and using the
– #can put your tweet sorted by topic
– TweetChat: Twitter parties gain buzz
WHY USE TWITTER FOR BUSINESS?
1) Establish your business or yourself as an expert in
the topic #dentist #WestOrangeCountyattorney
2) Use hashtag to start a discussion on a topic that
pertains to your business.
3) You can retweet businesses you want to form
alliances with. POWER OF SYNERGY!!!
4) Use followers as leverage to get into conferences
as media or an influencer
WHY USE TWITTER FOR BUSINESS?
• Use unique hashtags to start a trend. If
everyone tweeted. #WOCC West Orange
Chamber of Commerce the brand increases
influence, attendance and business for you.
• You can share hyperlinks to great information
which will position you as an expert.
• Best use to drive traffic to your website.
• http://mashable.com Can download the APP,
look at it while waiting online at the bank.
• TIP your name should be your twitter name:
An interconnected network of experienced
professionals from around the world. Over 175
million members in over in 200 countries.
Every second a new person joins LinkedIn
If looking for corporate clients, executives of all
Fortune 500, companies are LinkedIn members.
• Headline: Like an objective on a resume.
Keynote Speaker, Author, Corporate Trainer
• Profile: What makes you the best answer to
their problem? Answer this in profile
Customize the URL to be your name
• Company Search: Use to create target list.
You can find someone you know to connect you
into that company.
• People Search: Recruiters use this
to find candidates with unique skill sets.
• Personal Connections: It is recommended to
have at least 30 to expand you reach. It will
link to inbox to find people you may know.
• Recommendations: The more the better
• Status Updates: One size does not fit all so
best to customize your posts.
• Groups: Increase visibility in field/expertise.
Facebook started by a Harvard student in 2004 as
a way to meet girls on campus.
It evolved to be a social utility to connect people
with friends and others they work, study and live
around the world.
Option for Public vs. Private
• You can have a Friend Page for personal
• A Fan Page for your business – warning!!!!
• Profile Page – can have links to your
business. Look at Brian Tracy, #1 Sales
Trainer and Speaker’s Page for a model
Facebook Top 3 Business Tools
• You can export contacts into yahoo if you
have a yahoo account and add to your email
list for campaigns (I would get permission)
• Post videos on your profile page gain
• Advertise to a very focused group pay FB
• Organically go viral – LA Business Experts
• Allows you to post pictures about
your business to your
Twitter, Foursquare, Flickr, Tumblr, Fa
• Allows hashtags
• Can tag like twitter using @
• It is an easy way to use twitter
Social Media Summary
• LinkedIn should be your #1 priority when it
comes to recruiting staff, developing a client list
and tapping into the Fortune 500 companies.
• Twitter is a helpful tool to help interact with
customers and set you up as expert in field.
• Facebook is a great way to target a specific
audience who want to buy your products and
• Instagram- tool to manage all social media.
• If you are paying someone expensive fees for
SEO you may want to consider Google Plus
• Since, majority of people use Google as a
search tool it will pull your posts from Google
plus above others
• They bought youtube the #1 viewing. If you
are not already vlogging may want to consider
TIME SAVING TRICK
• FB has a timer you can preschedule your posts
• You can use a service like Hootsuite (free) to
schedule posts in Twitter, Facebook and
LinkedIn (but be warned about this)
• You can link Facebook to Twitter and Twitter to
LinkedIn so will post to all
• Use Instagram posts to all but Instagram
• Use Ifthisthanthat
Call to Action
1) What did I learn that I will apply?
2) What insight did I have that will
change the way I do business?
3) What is overwhelming me about this
whole process of using social media and
how can I mitigate it?
FREE VIDEO FOR YOUR BUSINESS
Do you see the value in positioning yourself as an
Would you like to be found on the first page of
the search engines in your topic?
Demand Media searching for experts to do videos
on various topics (business, technology, health,
You can use the videos to market in your social
Synergy Unlimited LLC