The Power of Nice: How to Conquer the Business World With KindnessBy Linda Kaplan Thaler & Robin KovalDeanna PaysonPRL 725
Key Lessons• Being nice is the right thing to do.• Being nice will make you successful.• Being nice will make you HAPPY.
"You have to treat everyoneyou meet as if they are the mostimportant person in the world -because they are."
"Our success was not won withpitchforks and spears, but withflowers and chocolates..."
"Yes, a random act of kindnesscan help you become wealthier,healthier and wiser. But, mostof all, it will make you happier."
How do we achieve the powerof nice?1. Listen2. Be genuine3. Befriend all4. End the "no" chain5. Learn & practice empathy
1) Listen"When you let the other guys brilliance shine through, you not only gain new information, you also earn their goodwill."
2) Be genuine"His grin, his mannerisms, his approach to life all exuded sincerity. He wore his heart on his sleeve. There was nothing devious about him."
3) Befriend all"When you learn to shed the me vs. you mentality, you open up opportunities for everyone."
4) End the "No" chain"Dont tell others what youre against...tell them what youre for."
5) Learn & practice empathy"People who are able to understand what others are feeling and see things from their perspective are happier, more popular, and have better love lives. Theyre also more successful in business."
Opinion• Be sure that one principle does not overwhelm another.• Kindness does not excuse cruelty.• Otherwise....an easy & essential read!
ReferencesLinda, T., & Robin, K. (2006). The power of nice: how to conquer the business world with kindness. New York: Currency Doubleday