Morphology: The analysis of
By Group 6
What we are going to discuss are:
• The definition of the inflection,
• The differences between inflection and
derivation (category change),
• The way of using inflection and derivation.
What is Inflection?
Inflection is a process of word formation in
which items are added to the base form of a
word to express grammatical meanings.
In short : inflections are morphemes that signal
the grammatical variants of word.
Inflection vs Derivation
• Inflection does not change either the meaning
or the word class (category), while….
• Derivation changes the meaning and/or the
Inflection : V + af V
Derivation : V + af N
The way of using inflection
• Inflection for number
• Inflection for tense
V 1 V 2 V 3
sing sang sung
write wrote written
go went gone
get got got/gotten
fly flew flown
The way of using derivation
Change the meaning