Architecture is the art of designing and constructing a building.
What must be the style of a certain architecture?
The type of construction to be employed also determines
Architecture (Humanities) (HUMSS)
WHAT IS THE PRIMARY PURPOSES OF ARCHITECTURE?
Architecture is an art.
WHAT IS ARCHITECTURE?
Since the needs of different periods in
history varied, different architectural
is to fulfill a need that lead to its creation..
• The style must accommodate and express the function of
• It must also address the future.
• It must also be able to provide for functions which are
unknown at the moment of the construction.
FACTORS AFFECTING ARCHITECTURE
• Materials used
• Methods used in assembling the materials
• Availability of material
• Durability and beauty
• Stone and wood have long been used in architecture.
• Brick has also been in use from very early times.
• Concrete was known and extensively used as early as the roman period.
• Other materials like glass and plastic materials are also used by
- consists of two vertical
posts for support (post) and a
horizontal one (lintel)
• The arch is dominant in roman
architecture. It is an architectural
form built from pieces of wood
called voussoirs with joints
between them and are arranged
in a semicircle.
• Cantelever is any structural part
projecting horizontally and
anchored at one end only.
MOST COMMON MATERIALS USED IN ARCHITECTURE
- relative durability and high tensile and
- compression strength
- easily destroyed by moisture, insect and fire.
- is the material used in most of the great architecture of the
world where permanence is desired.
- is a building material made of sand gravel mixed with cement.
- high compressive strength
- is a tough alloy of iron in variable amounts.
- It is malleable under proper conditions and greatly hardened by