canadian immigration law update - June 2014


Published on


Published in: Law
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

canadian immigration law update - June 2014

  1. 1.[6/24/2014 3:19:47 PM] Nachman Phulwani Zimovcak (NPZ) Law Group, P.C. -  Canadian Immigration and Nationality Newsletter and Update. In This Issue: NEW CHANGES IN HIRING INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS NAFTA APPLICATIONS AT THE BORDER BY: Arifa Serter, Legal Intern at CLG WHAT CAN I BRING INTO CANADA WITH ME? Quick Links SEARCH OUR SITE     THE VISASERVE BLOG     ENTERTAINMENT IMMIGRATION NEW GUIDELINES FOR INTRA-COMPANY TRANSFEREES On June 9, 2014, The Government of Canada (CIC) published a new guide for officers assessing work permit applications for Intra- Company Transferees (ICTs) under the Specialized Knowledge category, with a Labour Market Opinion (LMO) Exemption. The new criteria will now include a more stringent definition of "specialized knowledge" and a mandatory wage requirement. Individuals covered under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) or under any future or current Free Trade Agreements (FTAs) appear to be exempt from these changes.   TO READ MORE, PLEASE CLICK HERE...  NEW CHANGES IN HIRING INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS Effective immediately, the Department is ending the Recruitment and Advertisement Exemption for employers wishing to hire international students who have graduated from recognized Canadian post- secondary institutions and whose Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) is expiring. Employers submitting a labour market opinion (LMO) to hire an individual transitioning from the PGWP must now ensure that they meet all of the Program requirements for the applicable stream:   TO READ MORE ON "REQUIREMENTS OF HIGHER AND LOWER SKILLED OCCUPATION", PLEASE CLICK HERE... NAFTA APPLICATIONS AT THE BORDER: by Arifa Serter, Legal Intern at CLG The North American Free Trade Agreement, otherwise known as "NAFTA," is a treaty which allows Americans, Canadians, and Mexicans to work temporarily in one of these three countries for certain
  2. 2.[6/24/2014 3:19:47 PM] - - - - - - - - - - - - :: 201-670-0006 (X100) :: :: :: jobs or occupations listed under NAFTA. Going into the U.S.A., a person applies to secure what is called a "TN visa."  The equivalent visa on the Canadian side is more commonly referred to as a "Work Permit under NAFTA."   A foreign national can apply for the TN Visa, under NAFTA, at any Point of Entry (ie. Airport or Land Border). Nonetheless, sufficient time and energy is required for a successful NAFTA application. As a Canadian citizen who came to work for a law firm in the U.S.A., I have personal experience with the preparation and obtaining of a TN visa.  Furthermore, as part of my internship at CLG, I have assisted in the preparation of these work permit applications.  I know first-hand the importance of completing the NAFTA application package with great care and detail.   TO READ MORE ON "PERSONAL EXPERIENCE OF NAFTA APPLICATION AND TIPS TO APPLY", PLEASE CLICK HERE... WHAT CAN I BRING INTO CANADA WITH ME?      A common question that always strike in any foreign national migrating to Canada.   For our clients who have successfully secured a work permit, or permanent residence, for Canada, the next question often is: "What can I bring with me when I go?"  Here are some useful tips to facilitate your entry to Canada:   Before you Arrive in Canada:   1. Prepare two copies of a list (preferably typewritten) of all the goods you intend to bring into Canada as part of your personal effects. Include the value, make, model, and serial number (when applicable). Divide the list into two sections. In the first, list the goods you are bringing with you; in the second, list the goods to follow. Goods that arrive later will only qualify for duty- and tax-free importation under your entitlement as a settler, if they are on your original list. 2. To qualify for duty- and tax-free importation you must have owned, possessed, and used the goods before your arrival in Canada.   When you Arrive in Canada:   1.You must give your list of goods to the border services officer at the first point of arrival in Canada. Based on the list of goods you submit, the officer will complete a Form B4, Personal Effects Accounting Document, for you, assign a file number to it and give you a copy of the completed form as a receipt. You will need to present your copy of the form to claim free importation of your unaccompanied goods when they arrive.               You can make the process easier by filling out Form B4 in advance, Form B4 is available by selecting "Publications and forms" on the CBSA Web site. TO READ MORE, PLEASE CLICK HERE...