Experimenting with Location and Proximity Analysis Feb 2017 (David Pugh MeasureCamp Cardiff)
GETTING THE DATA BLUES
AN EXPERIMENT WITH LOCATION-POWERED
ANALYSIS & EXPERIENCES AT THE CARDIFF
Lots of fans but not
Not knowing fans /
customer for the things
CARDIFF BLUES CHALLENGES
Stadium Twitter Facebook
SPORTS TEAMS APP-VANTAGE
87% OWN A SMARTPHONE
75% USE IT AT THE STADIUM
72% WOULD USE APP AT NEXT GAME
SOURCE: BTD GRAPPE AND A STUDY CODUCTED BY WASSERMANAND NAVIGATE – THE SOCIAL MEDIA SCOREBOARD
SPORTS TEAMS HAVE THE ADVANTAGE THAT FANS
“WANT” TO USE THEIR TEAM SPECIFIC APP
• Partner with team to develop real life project using Location-based
• Utilise Gcell long life iBeacon hardware.
• Develop a new communication channel with fans.
• Help encourage a better match day experience.
• Get to hang around the Arms Park and pretend I know all the players.
• Understand fan movements in and around the stadium and analyse app
• See if we can influence behaviour.
• Get to see home games for free….. and pretend I’m working.
THE IDEA BEHIND THE SKUNK PROJECT
DEPLOY GCELL BEACONS
HOW IT WORKS
MOBILE INTEGRATION IN 30MINS
INSTALL SDK IN APP – iOS and Android
CREATE & MANAGE CAMPAIGNS
DETERMINE KEY DATA POINTS (LOCN, PROXIMITY, USER DETAIL)
APP DETECTS GCELL BEACONS / GPS
REAL TIME ANALYTICS & ENGAGEMENT
CUSTOMERS & FANS RECEIVE PERSONALISED CONTENT
GAIN INSIGHTS OF APP USERS
INTERACT THROUGH API
CAMPAIGN SET UP &
ANALYSIS POST MATCH
MATCH DAY DATA AVAILABLE THROUGH
Sub System Stadium and App Campaign Management Analytics & Insight
Key Function Customer Infrastructure and Tools Campaign Management, Data Collection Tailored Data Analysis and Insight
• iBeacon installation & configuration
• Geofence design
• App integration
• Assessment of customer needs
• Configuration of project
• Automated update of campaigns
• Management of bespoke push and proximity
• Query Set up
• Automated top level data reports – match ,
interim and season
• Bespoke analysis and insight
• Predictive analysis
• Review and generation of segments for
Proposition Turn key infrastructure setup & app support
Set up and management of campaign and key data
Customer focussed analysis and insight of data,
feedback into the previous sub systems to improve
GeoFence, long life iBeacon
SDK for iOS (Swift, ObjectiveC) and Android
MOCA Proximity Platform (Aerospike)
HTML5, CSS. Python Python, Flask, Pandas, matlibplot, R, D3.js
• OS Type
• Device Id
• Device Type
• Session Use, session length
• Number of users
• Location (country through to
• Campaign specific data
(number of reached users,
number of opens, location
• Campaigns can also trigger
custom actions on the
• User Location every 15 min
• ‘Tag’ data – custom data
WHAT DATA DO WE GET?
• Macro-location (GPS).
• Micro-location at stadium (iBeacon).
• Analysing user data to segment & target.
• Understanding attendance and loyalty.
Time of arrival & departure into city
Areas fans gather before & after
Heavily trafficked areas at the
MATCH DAY MOVEMENTS
(aka knowing WPPI)
DIGITAL & SOCIAL
USE THE DATA WE
COLLECT TO MAKE
NOT JUST NOTIFICATIONS
MAN OF THE MATCH
THE GAME SO FAR
• iBeacon infrastructure installed and tested.
• SDK integrated, Campaigns created and app launched.
• Python based interface to Moca API that automates campaigns and data
extraction for home games.
• Baseline data collected on home games – no engagement just data
• Provided insight into how crowd react to announcements, e,g, sharing
pictures at half time and Player of the Game voting.
• Gradually increasing the number and type of engagement – seeing app usage
change as a result.
• Starting to develop target segments – e.g, frequent attendees to the family
Cardiff wide mixed
– completed in next 2
• Campaigns to encourage more users.
• Enhancements to app and more custom
functions and data collection.
• Discussions with Blues marketing to start
running specific campaigns and collect more
business specific data.
• More fan feedback – workshops with
Supporters club, CF10 CR Trust, tie in with
other surveys and work.
• Focus on one area and push to see
improvement, e.g., family specific
campaigns or merchandising focus leading to
• Tie in with other Blues business data.
• Extension of the beacon network & tie into
Excuse to walk
at night with a
What other analysis could we do
within the Arms Park?