Executive Chef Job Description. This is for informational, educational and entertainment purposes only. Each position, jurisdiction, company is unique and there is no perfect pre crafted template suitable for any given chef role. If you're planning on using this Executive Chef Job Description it should only be to get you started. All job descriptions need to be reviewed and approved by Human Resource and Legal specialists before being applied in a real world situation.
To explore further please pay a visit to this page: http://topchefs.ie/executive-chef-job-description/
EXECUTIVE CHEF Job Description
Job Title: Executive Chef
Department: Food & Beverage Dept
Reporting To: Food & Beverage Manager
Responsible for: All kitchen staff
Liaises with: All other heads of department
Prepared By: Human Resources Dept
Prepared Date: March 2014
Approved By: General Manager
The Executive Chef is responsible for all food production including all items produced for
restaurants, banqueting and/or other outlets. Menu development, food purchase
specifications and standardised recipes. Development and monitoring of food and labor
budgets for the department also fall within this individuals purview, as does staff
supervision. Furthermore the Executive Chef is responsible for maintaining the highest
professional food quality and hygiene standards throughout the operation.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
• The Executive Chef schedules and coordinates the work of chefs, cooks and other
kitchen employees to ensure that food preparation is economical, technically correct and
within budgeted labor cost goals.
• The Executive Chef ensures that high standards of hygiene, cleanliness and safety are
maintained throughout all kitchen areas at all times.
• The Executive Chef evaluates food products to ensure that company quality standards
are consistently attained.
• The Executive Chef plans menus for all food outlets in the business.
• The Executive Chef prepares necessary data for applicable parts of the budget; the
Executive Chef projects annual food, labor and other costs and monitors actual financial
results and takes corrective action, as necessary, to ensure that financial targets are met.
• The Executive Chef establishes, and maintains, controls to minimise food waste and
• The Executive Chef safeguards all food handlers work practices by implementing training
programs to increase their knowledge about safety, hygiene and accident prevention
• The Executive Chef approves the requisition and purchase of products and other
necessary food supplies.
• The Executive Chef develops standard recipes and techniques for food preparation and
presentation which help to assure
consistently high quality
• The Executive Chef implements measures to minimise food costs; exercises portion
control for all items served and works with the Food & Beverage manager in establishing
menu selling prices.
• The Executive Chef will attend food & beverage staff and management meetings.
• The Executive Chef will consult with the Food & Beverage Manager about the food
production aspects of special events and banquets.
• The Executive Chef cooks, or directly supervises the cooking of, skill intensive items.
• The Executive Chef ensures proper staffing, maximum productivity and exceptional
quality standards; controls food and wage costs to achieve maximum profitability.
• The Executive Chef interacts with the food and beverage department to ensure that food
production consistently meets, or exceeds, the expectations of guests.
• The Executive Chef develops policies and procedures to enhance and measure quality;
continually updating written policies and procedures to incorporate state-of-the-art
techniques, equipment and terminology.
• The Executive Chef, in conjunction with Food and Beverage team, assists in maintaining
a high level of service principles in accordance with established standards.
• The Executive Chef evaluates products to ensure that quality, price and related
standards are consistently met.
• The Executive Chef will establish and maintain a regular cleaning and maintenance
schedule for all kitchen areas and all kitchen equipment.
• The Executive Chef supports safe work habits and a safe working environment at all
• The Executive Chef provides training and professional development opportunities to all
• The Executive Chef will ensure that representatives from the kitchen attend service
meetings as required.
• The Executive Chef will, as required, visit the dining areas to meet guests.
• Perform other duties as directed.
• The Executive Chef interviews, selects, trains, supervises, counsels and disciplines all
employees in the department.
• The Executive Chef, develops, maintains and trains a professional work force.
• The Executive Chef puts in place whatever measures are necessary to ensure a safe
working environment and attitude on the part of all employees in areas of responsibility.
• The Executive Chef ensures all services to customers are conducted in a highly
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• The Executive Chef demonstrates an ability to produce a high volume of work in a timely
manner, which is accurate, complete, and of high quality.
• The Executive Chef demonstrates an ability to interact positively with supervisor,
management, coworkers, members, and the public to promote a team effort and maintain
a positive and professional approach.
• The Executive Chef demonstrates an ability to come to work regularly and on time, to
follow directions, to take criticism, to get along with co-workers and supervisors, to treat
co-workers, supervisors and guests with respect and courtesy, at all times refraining from
abusive, insubordinate and/or violent behaviour.
Ability to read, analyse, and interpret general business professional publications, technical
procedures, manuals or statutory regulations. Ability to write reports, business
correspondence, and standard of performance manuals. Ability to effectively present
information and respond to questions from groups of managers, suppliers, members, and
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree in Culinary Arts
Must have at least 15 years culinary experience
Extensive food and wine knowledge and creativity
Leadership/management level experience required
Detailed knowledge of purchasing, ordering, receiving, food costing and inventory
Working knowledge of various computer software programs including, but not limited to,
Word-processing, spreadsheets, and email.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Certificate of completion from trade school. Driver's License.
While performing the duties of Executive Chef, the employee is regularly required to talk or
hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger,
handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee
must occasionally lift and/or move up to 24KG. Specific vision abilities required by this job
include close vision and distance vision.
While performing the core functions of Executive Chef, the employee is usually indoors, in
a controlled environment, and experiences moderate noise levels in the working
____________________________________________________ Print Name