Argentina South Africa
Beirut Sri Lanka
By the end of this interactive you will leave with:
1. Practical, realistic examples of good and bad virtual meeting facilitation
2. Increased confidence and impact when facilitating virtual meetings
3. An understanding of how to manage cultural differences and language barriers when
dealing with international audiences
Poll: How do you currently feel about facilitating
• Have a clear, defined purpose for the meeting
• How will you introduce yourself – do they know you?
• Establish the ground rules – personal and technical
• Methods of facilitation
• Clear and realistic agenda
• Desired outcomes from each agenda item
• Send out relevant information in advance
• Collection and collation of inputs
• Preparation of online content in advance
• Start on time!
Poll: How impactful do you feel you are when
facilitating these meetings?
Not very impactful
It is a development area
How you are perceived by others
Research: Prof. Mehrabian
1. Warm Up
• Go for a brisk walk
• Wake up the face and mouth
• Chew vigorously
• Say a few tongue twisters
• Take a few deep breaths
During the Meeting
• Use people’s names
• Prepare mentally. What effect do you want to have at different points in the meeting e.g.
a feeling of achievement at the end,.
• Wait for breathing pauses to manage garrulous people.
• Use a strong voice (not necessarily a loud one) to project status and gravitas.
• Take a breath and speak with energy and conviction.
• Moderate your pace
Cultural Differences and Language Barriers
The key is good communication
• Don’t use jargon or acronyms
• Send information out in advance
• Use of a mix of open and closed questions, but directed at individuals
• Give written as well as verbal instructions
Poll: Which of the following webinar titles would
be of most interest?
Maximise ROI on your
5 Key Elements of
Influencing without Line
Managing the Human
Aspect of Change
Established in 1980 Head Office: Surrey UK
Global Relationships Business Psychologists
Specialist Trainers Forum Theatre Actors
Virtual Instructor Led
@SMLTraining SML Training and Consultancy