How to Specify Exterior
A Rainscreen Panel Product
Course #: MEG2014
Presented by: David Klein
• Materials Exterior Grade Inc is a Registered Provider with
the American Institute of Architects Continuing Education
Systems. Credit earned on completion of this program
will be reported to CES Records for AIA members.
Certificates of Completion for non-AIA members are
available on request.
• This program is registered with the AIA/CES for
continuing professional education. As such, it does not
include content that may be deemed or construed to be
an approval or endorsement by the AIA of any material of
construction or manner of handling, using, distributing, or
dealing with any material or product. Questions related to
specific materials, methods and services will be
addressed at the conclusion of this presentation.
This presentation is protected by US and International
Copyright laws. Reproduction, distribution, display and
use of the presentation without written permission of
the speaker is prohibited.
• Describe how rainscreen cladding systems work to reduce
moisture penetration on a building’s envelope.
• Define Exterior Grade Phenolic (EGP) and explain the
• Analyze Third Party performance criteria for EGP and describe the
evaluation methods of the three tests most commonly required by
• Observe how EGP can be fabricated and explain proper methods
for handling and storing EGP panels.
• Examine and discuss installation practices for EGP and identify
incorrect installation methods that could compromise the
effectiveness of a rainscreen cladding solution.
• Observe various types of projects where EGP has been
EGP PANELS ARE
DESIGNED TO REBUFF
RAIN FROM THE
VERTICAL SEAMS, WHICH
ARE NECESSARY FOR
THERMAL EXPANSION OF
PANELS, ARE DOUBLY
PROTECTED BY "HAT"
EGP PANELS SERVE AS A
MOST RAIN FROM
REACHING THE EXTERIOR
FACE OF THE BUILDING.
EGP PANELS AND THE
HELP TO EVAPORATE
ACCUMULATE ON THE
BACK-SIDE OF THE
BUILDING WITH EGP
PANELS MINIMIZES THE
AMOUNT OF RAIN AND
MOISTURE THAT CAN
BARRIER ON THE
EXTERIOR OF THE
WEATHER, MOLD, AND
Faux Wood vs. Veneer
All panels are NOT created equal!
What Third Party Testing
Standards Apply to EGP?
What is an Evaluation Report (ER)?
• “ER sometimes referred to as code reports, created
to either evaluate products or methodologies that are
not explicitly addressed by the current code (or
earlier) building code…”
Source: SEAOC Blue Book – An Evaluation of Current Practices Related to the Development
and Implementation of Acceptance Criteria and Product Evaluation Repots
What is an Acceptance Criteria (AC)?
• “AC are documents that state the requirements for a
which a product is evaluated in order to demonstrate
• Source: SEAOC Blue Book – An Evaluation of Current Practices Related to the Development and
Implementation of Acceptance Criteria and Product Evaluation Repots
What type of information make up an
3. Reference Documents
5. Basic Information
6. Test Performance & Requirements
7. Test Procedures
8. Quality Control
What information can be found in an ER
1. Report Holder
2. Evaluation Scope
3. Product Use
4. Production Description
5. Design & Installation
6. Conditions of use
7. Evidence Submitted
When removing EGP panels from pallets,
each panel should be lifted directly up. Do
not slide panels off of the stack as sliding
may scratch or damage the panels.
• EGP panels should be
stored horizontally on
shelving that enables
the panels to lie flat and
• A weighted panel
should be placed on top
of the panels if stored
for an extended period
• Do not stagger panels
and ensure that panel
edges do not hang over
the rack edge.
• When transporting
panels to job site, make
sure the panels are
strapped and protected.
• Use cardboard under
strapping to ensure the
damage the panels.
• Use corner guards to
further protect the
• Do not store panels
outside for any
extended period of
Never store EGP panels
vertically as this may
For temporary storage outside,
cover the panels well to protect
them from climatic elements and
to avoid moisture penetrating and
accumulating between the panels.
How Much Does it Cost?
1. Are you looking to use EGP for a Commercial or Residential Project?
2. Is this a New Building or Renovation?
3. What is the size of the proposed EGP panel area? _______SF
a. Less than 1,500 SF
4. Will this project require the use of Union Labor? (For Commercial Project)
5. What are the size of the finished panels?
6. What is the height of the building?
a. How many stories?
b. (For Commercial) Does the building exceed 40 feet in height?
7. Are there any special building code requirements that need to be taken into
consideration for this project?
a. Energy Code
b. Fire Code
How Much Does it Cost
Straight Forward Not So Straight Forward
Converting A Factory Panel Into A
Parameters to Keep in Mind with EGP
• EGP panels are secured to vertical channels that are anchored to the
inner wall, typically with the use of exposed screws.
• Joints are left open so the movement of the panels is never restricted.
• Since moisture will make its way to the inner wall, a moisture and/or air
barrier will be needed. Consult your “barrier” representative to
specify the correct type for your local geographical area and
• A minimum 1” air space must be left between the back of the EGP
panel and the inner wall to enable the air movement required for the
cavity to dry. 73
Required panel installation gap
Panels can not be
installed in a manner in
which the panel is
bridging a gap between
adjacent typical profiles
• Corrosion on the head can
cause rust streaks.
• Corrosion of the
threads/shank can cause
• Corrosion of the head can
cause pull-over problems.
• Panels have a Top &
• Manufacturers will
clearly note this by
placing arrows on the
• Panels that are inverted
during installation may
appear to have shading
differences, called the
“Sunrise/ Sunset effect”.
Materials Exterior Grade Inc
Light Commercial & Residential MEG Program
A Complete Rainscreen Cladding Solution
• Fully fabricated panels available in 10 sizes
• 6 standard colors, including metallic and woodgrains
• Profiles and color-matched screws included
• 4-6 weeks from order to delivery
• Ideal for residential and commercial projects less
than 1,500 sq. ft.
• Colors from the full MEG exterior collection can be
Panels may be shipped with a
protective film by manufacturer
• The purpose of the protective film is
to protect the material during
storage and shipping.
• Panels should be inspected under
the film for any visual defects before
fabrication and installation.
• Typically the contractor will only be
reimbursed for the cost of the un-
fabricated/installed panel. 150