● If you do not have ansible installed yet, please
do it now:
● We will need the git, too.
● It should be included on USB stick in virtual
● Provisioning AND deployment
● Easy to start
● Data driven
– List of managed computers, can be grouped.
– Default in /etc/ansible/hosts.
– May be dynamically generated.
– Basic work units.
– Plenty of them (hundreds) available.
– Template, copy, user, ...
Key concepts (2)
– Defined on multiple levels (host, group, inventory).
– Used for conditionals and in templates.
– Special variables taken from server (hostname,
date and time, networking setup, …).
– ansible -m setup localhost
Key concepts (3)
– One task do one thing (usually it is module invocation).
– Set of tasks that run on group of computers.
– Bunch of plays in one file.
– Encapsulate set of tasks, variables, templates, files together.
– Can run ad-hoc commands.
– Run a playbooks (what a coincidence!).
– Download roles from other ansible users.
– Can encrypt variables, protect passwords, etc.
● Install full HA load balanced LAMP stack with
● Time: 4 hours
● Probability I will be dragged away by force:
● It was tempting to see how long I`ll be able to
● Install ntp server
● Time: 30 minutes
● Probability I will be dragged away by force: Low
● Maybe boring, but hey, we have to start
Install ntp (in playbook)
● Get playbook: git clone