The United States paint and primer market consists largely of active do-it-yourself consumers.
These DIYers not only paint for maintenance, but they paint to be able to say that they
completed a project independently. Glidden paint will empower these consumers to complete
their personal projects with ease, convenience and value. With placement in Walmart stores
nationwide, Glidden is able to target shoppers seeking value in a one-stop shop.
SPARK Advertising will not only increase consideration and awareness of Glidden paint in
Walmart, but will create a campaign that will effectively sell more gallons of Glidden Brilliance
to Walmart shoppers. SPARK will empower DIYers to make their paint purchases at Walmart by
creating the desire to take on any project and make it their own. We want them to experience it.
bright, creative individuals who elevate brands by connecting them with
their audience. After all, the best ideas start with a spark.
Our Mission: To unify our passion with your goals to build powerful campaigns.
F o r c e s
• Paint market is highly saturated with multiple brands
• Paint companies have recently increased advertising and created highly competitive campaigns
• Major home improvement stores develop or partner with major paint brands
F o r c e s
• “Great Recession” has accelerated the popularity of DIY home improvement
• DIY culture is emerging as a fashionable form of personal expression
• Online community provides project inspiration and support for modern DIYers
E c o n o m i c
F o r c e s
• U.S. economy and housing sector are steadily recovering
• Market value forecast for paint shows 10.9% growth over the next three years
• Raw materials in paint are subject to fluctuating market prices
F o r c e s
• In-store mixers allow paint to be mixed quickly, efficiently and in any color the consumer desires
• Smartphones allow users to share projects, give or receive advice and explore paint brand options
• Paint consumers utilize the Internet community as a source for inspiration and advice
L e g a l
F o r c e s
• Variable Organic Compound (VOCs) levels are regulated by state and federal law
• Toxic Substances Control Act has strict regulations that cause mandatory production expenses
• Landlords often have strict “no paint” clauses in lease agreements
Clark + Kensington
• Targets women 25 - 44
• Exclusive paint of Ace Hardware
• Links color selection to mood,
emotion and relationships with
“Find Your Soul Paint” ads
• Paint dries in half the time as
• Targets “Makeover Mavens”
• Strongly affiliated with
• 24/7 personalized service
with Valspar ConnectLive
• National Paint sponsor of
Habitat for Humanity
• Targets the professional
• Exclusive to Home Depot since
• Number one interior paint brand
in consumers’ minds
• Very active on social media,
posting frequently on Facebook
• Targets young families
• Exclusive to Lowe’s
• Effective use of social media,
specifically the YouTube
• Perceived as a premium paint
at an affordable price
• Most reasonably priced among
premium paint competitors
• Substantial distribution through
• Only 2-in-1 paint and primer
product available at Walmart
• Available at convenient locations
that offer one-stop shopping
• Mixer technology allows for full
spectrum color personalization
• Walmart shows inconsistent
customer service and paint
knowledge that a home
improvement store may have
• A low percentage of DIYers
consider Walmart and Glidden
when buying paint
• Paint quality is rated low by some
• Glidden suffers from a low recall
rate among consumers
• Use innovative technology to
create in-store displays that
• Take advantage of foot traffic in
• Guide new generation of renters
and homeowners who are seeking
• Use strong social media strategy
to connect with audience
• Outspent by competitors in
• Paint and primer combined has
become an industry-wide trend
• Walmart’s ColorPlace is the less
expensive option at a price
• Decline of paint sales due to
economic recession and reduction
in new construction
half hour in-depth interviews
crossing all target markets
quantifiable survey responses
from all regions of the continental U.S.
To best understand attitudes associated with the
Glidden brand, Walmart experience and target
markets, we researched blogs, the Walmart
website, Glidden and competitor websites.
1. What does DIY mean to young renters, young
families and older shoppers?
2. What are the unifying motivations of
all three target markets?
3. What are target markets’ current perceptions of
Glidden at Walmart?
Walmart superstores visited
paint shopping experiences013
personal painting stories
from all three target markets028
hours of painting experience
volunteering at a local reuse center048
Causes Do They
25-34 year olds
45-64 year olds35-44 year olds
Constrained Prefers to
of Paint at
Millennial DIY Newbies
Education initiatives will
resonate across target
I didn’t know that Wal-Mart mixes
paint. If I could get paint at Walmart,
why would I go somewhere else? It’s
a waste of gas, time, and effort.
Homeis the centerof your world.
Making your home.
Transforming your home.
Caring for your home.
The beginning and end is really the
fun part- finding inspiration, borrowing
ideas, buying things for your vision.
I like that [Walmart] is cheaper
than all the other options. I can
get everything we need for our
weekly shopping and we can pick
something up like picture frames
while we’re there.
The Big Idea Our Reason
We can’t change Walmart, but what we can
do is transform the perception of the Glidden
paint brand: the paint that gets you going
when you’re inspired to paint a bookshelf for
your daughter’s birthday, when you finally find
the time to redo the kitchen walls and when
you have everything going on in the world
and find solace in your home.
We’re telling a story within reach to each
target audience. Our executions encapsulate
their story and provide tangible solutions
to transform their space with esteem and
We help consumers see possibilities for
their home. Framed with the visual, you see
the DIY journey in Walmart as a holistic
Whether you’re making, transforming or
maintaining your home you can
bring it home with Glidden paint at
Bring it Home empowers DIYers to begin their paint journey.
Whatever the project, from creative expression to household
upkeep, Glidden Brilliance gives your home the transformation it
deserves. With quality paint sold at Walmart, you can complete
a project you’re proud of without compromising value.
It’s all here-your vision and the means to realize it.
I think DIY projects are great because if
there’s something you admire, and have
inspiration for, you can recreate it with your
own spin on it. You can take something that’s
out of reach for you and make it happen.
-Renter, 26-year-old, Georgia
Holographic imaging will be used to set this direct mail piece
apart from the rest.
POV: Backs of parents painting
Camera: Wide angle lens
Location: The finished nursery
POV: Profile shot of room and
Camera: Wide angle lens
POV: Furniture inches back into
room in stop motion.
Camera: Wide angle lens
POV: Straight shot, parents are
with baby, family is complete.
Camera: Wide angle lens
Location: Conveyor belt
POV: Reveal that our family is
inside clear paint can.
Camera: Zoom out so can is now
Location: Conveyor belt
POV: Glidden label is shown in
stop motion, label peels back
onto the clear can with family
Camera: Wide angle lens
• 15-second spot shot in stop motion
• Musical undertones by Barry Louis Polisar’s “With a
Giggle and a Hug and a Tickle and a Kiss”
• Overall tone conveys a whimsical and upbeat feeling
Use SEO to influence Google's image search to create an organic advertisement
Animated banner advertisements will attract clicks all over the web
CANoramas will be created to illustrate how Glidden paint can transform
a room and spark inspiration. CANoramas are transparent paint cans with
miniature furniture and a wall painted in a Glidden Brilliance color.
• 12 CANoramas will be displayed in the baby, furniture, home
decor and home improvement departments of Walmart stores
• Each can will have a specific code that Walmart shoppers can
text for a chance to win 1 of 20 room makeovers.
• Participants who submit a non-winning code will have the ability to
claim a Glidden Brilliance paint tester, driving shoppers to the
• Throughout the campaign, there will be two winners announced
every other week and the sweepstakes will be covered by
Glidden’s social platforms.
• The tour will be a weekly pop-up event in outdoor city centers within our 15 KMAs.
• Glidden will travel to each city with a giant, acrylic glass paint can, featuring a digital display
wall and furnishings from Walmart.
• Pedestrians will be able to enter the can and choose from five buttons representing Glidden
Brilliance colors (ex: a “Cool Off” button activates Glidden’s Lemon Ice paint color).
• Participants will then watch a ghost paint roller paint the digital wall in the selected color.
• Onlookers, as well as participants, will share their unique experiences via social media and
attract earned media opportunities and impressions.
• Popular, local bands will provide music for each event while Glidden ambassadors will
hand out coupons for 10% off Glidden Brilliance at Walmart. Refreshments representing the
Glidden Brilliance Collection, such as Lemon Ice slushies, will be provided.
Glidden Brilliance Hometown Tour
“Bring It Home” Glidden Sweepstakes
Paint Counter Additions
The Walmart cloud-based CRM
database will help Glidden consumers
keep track of their favorite paint colors.
Employees will also attach a color
reminder label, which will include a
coupon for 10% off Glidden Brilliance
paint at Walmart.
• Walmart stores will provide an opportunity for
consumers to donate leftover Glidden paint or
recycle used paint cans.
• Through a partnership with City Year-an
education-focused non-profit organization-
Glidden will fill the donated paint cans, enabling
City Year to paint local schools.
“Bring It From Home”
to City Year Program
Glidden Brings Home
Tablet stationsGlidden seeks to create more
consistency in customer service by
placing one Android tablet in each
Walmart paint department. Tablets will
promote the Bring It Home microsite,
Glidden app, painting FAQs and feature
a customer service help button.
Walmart shoppers and
employees who prefer to learn
more about Glidden from a
tangible source can use this
to read about simple DIY tips.
The booklet will be located at
the Walmart paint counter.
SignageThere will be two 18”x24” standing
signs placed at the Home & Living
entrance and painting sections of each
Walmart. Each sign will highlight how to
participate in the Bring it From Home
to City Year program and the Bring it
Glidden will offer hospital room makeovers
for children involved with the Make-A-Wish
Foundation. Children will design their rooms
using Glidden colors and Walmart toys to make
hospital rooms feel like home.
This microsite will allow
DIYers to explore different
projects and pre-order
paint supplies for pickup
at their local Walmart.
• The microsite will feature
for messy hands. This
responsive design allows
users to move through
the steps of their project
with the wave of a hand.
Glidden will expand its current mobile app by including an
augmented reality feature. Users will be able to take a
photo of any room or desired object and digitally paint it
using Glidden’s color palette.
Glidden will pin step-by-step art
projects including before-and-after
photos on Pinterest. My Colortopia
influencers will curate Glidden pin
Glidden will utilize like-gating to offer a
coupon to new fans for 10% off Glidden
Brilliance at Walmart. Fans can also
play the Bring it Home Facebook game
in which they can create their own
CANoramas to share with friends. One
fan-made can will be featured each
week on the Glidden Facebook.
Glidden’s channel will feature videos of:
• Step-by-step painting tutorials
• The Glidden Brilliance Hometown Tour
• Follow-up videos from Make-a-Wish
and City Year
By using #BringItHome, DIY influencers
and followers can participate in
discussions about projects and local
Glidden will post a “30 Day Challenge”
each month to inspire DIYers to create
and share new projects on Instagram.
Glidden will help to complete the DIY
experience by sponsoring a Spotify
playlist with the perfect music for
• Achieve marketing goals within a $10 million budget
• Launch a five-month campaign, May 2014 - September 2014, with flexibility to
extend throughout the year
• Achieve an effective reach of 80% with an effective frequency of 5
• Use a dynamic combination of traditional and non-traditional media to spark
awareness and increase consideration within the 3 target segments
Key Market Areas Budget
• Little Rock, AR
• Oklahoma City, OK
• Wichita, KS
• Jackson, MS
• Birmingham, AL
• Kansas City, MO
• Charleston, WV
• Lexington, KY
• Baton Rouge, LA
• Des Moines, IA
• Knoxville, TN
• Omaha, NE
• Columbia, SC
• Indianapolis, IN
• San Antonio, TX
• Implement a strong pulsing and flighting media plan for “Bring It Home” campaign
• Support brand activation strategy
• Place additional media weight on key market areas
DIYers are always looking for advice and inspiration.
Using YouTube, organic SEO, and Google AdWords, we
will target DIYers in the midst of their search. AdRoll
will retarget users even after they leave paint-related
Targeted Lifestyle Websites:
Painting behavior is dependent upon inspiration, pricing and fair weather
conditions. Therefore, we will purchase ad space on BlogHer.com,
Facebook.com, Coupons.com and Weather.com.
Media websites will extend the traditional media buy
with networks that will further integrate the campaign.
Parents.com, HouseBeautiful.com, TLC.com,
Blog presence will serve as an important outlet to reach key influencers in the
DIY community. Additionally, our research shows that the targets look to blogs
for advice and inspiration. We will purchase ad space and sponsored posts on
influential DIYer websites:
Cocoon Home Design, Bower Power Blog, Centsational Girl,
Making it Lovely, The Inspired Room, Ana White, A Beautiful
Mess, In My Own Style, Brooklyn Limestone, Living with Lindsay
Partnering with the Walmart Smart Network will align the Glidden
brand with an audience at a time where point-of-purchase decisions
are made. Through strategic placement, 15-second commercials
running 10x per hour, in 2,900 stores will gain 140 million impressions
each week throughout the five-month campaign.
Direct mail advertisements resonate with all target
segments, which are 32% more likely to be interested in
ads mailed to their home. These lenticular (holographic),
customized direct mailers will kick-start the campaign
before Memorial Day weekend and again before the
July 4th holiday. The mailers will be sent to residents
within a seven-mile radius of Walmart stores in the
key market areas. Additionally, mailings will be sent
specifically to new movers in the key market areas
during America’s peak moving months, June and July.
New mover mailings will provide recipients with coupon
incentives to purchase Glidden paint in Walmart stores.
Full-color, one-page ads will run on a pulsing schedule in two different
magazine packages: Style & Design and Family. We chose these
packages because they capture the interests and geographic areas of
all three segments. The Style & Design package focuses on segments
one and three and the Family package focuses on segment two.
In-Store Direct Mail
• American Baby – 298
• Parents – 215
• This Old House – 176
• House Beautiful – 160
Style & Design Package:Family Package:
• American Baby
• Family Fun
• Country Living
• Real Simple
• Elle Decor
• This Old House
• House Beautiful
• Traditional Home
Advertising on cable networks will allow for the
segmentation of each of our three audiences.
With placements on TLC, A&E and The History
Channel, we will reach our audience on networks
that inspire creativity and go beyond basic design
and home improvement content. We will place
15-second commercials throughout the duration
of our campaign on the following shows.
• American Pickers
• American Restoration
• Flip this House
• Four Houses
• Say Yes to the Dress
TV Impressions 583,350.00$
Online Impressions 968,422.00$
Magazines Impressions 1,145,940.00$
Living -‐ -‐
Simple -‐ -‐
Décor -‐ -‐
House -‐ -‐
BeauMful -‐ -‐
Home -‐ -‐
More -‐ -‐
Baby -‐ -‐
ParenMng -‐ -‐
Fun -‐ -‐
Parents -‐ -‐
Mail Impressions 429,880.00$
May June July Aug Sept
75% Awareness 7.5% Purchase30% Consideration
To follow-up with our target markets, we
will conduct additional research throughout
the campaign. Our goal is to see if not only
awareness and consideration of the paint
department at Walmart has increased,
but specifically awareness of the Glidden
Brilliance Collection. To measure the
overall success of our campaign, we
suggest that Glidden further explore the
customer experience at Walmart through
in-store surveys and follow-up experiential
surveys through email. In addition to
this experiential survey information, we
recommend that Glidden track the use
of the FAQ Booklet at the Walmart paint
department to see if this additional
information helped to better the shopping
experience for customers.
Follow-up ResearchIncrease brand awareness at walmart
• Monitor website traffic from microsite, social media metrics and follow-up surveys.
• Increased website traffic, social media following and app download.
Increase consideration at walmart
• Record increased number of paint testers distributed, track response from SMS
text message campaign and log use of tablet stations at in store displays.
• Increased sales of Glidden at Walmart and increased consumer engagement.
Drive Purchase at walmart
• Quantify redemption of Glidden coupons from Facebook “like-gating”, paint lid
labels and those distributed during the Glidden Home Town Tour.
• Increased sales, additional repeat customer sales from coupons placed on
Glidden lids during promotional period.
Erin Irby, Account Planning
MollyRose Mendell, Brand Activation
Kelly Singleton, Creative Art
Jen Donato, Creative Copy
Perri Rumstein, Media
David Goldstein, Production
Our Amazing Team:
Endless thanks to:
Jake Lifschultz & Sam Schnorr
Ithaca College Print Shop
Park School of Communications
Finger Lakes Reuse
Howard & Helen Hogan Fund
Coffee & Donuts
& all the individuals who shared
their time and brilliant ideas
Mediamark Research & Intelligence, Scarborough Research, Radio Advertising
Bureau Reports, Nielsen Media Research, Quantcast, Consumer Reports: 2013
Buyers Guide, Ad Age Demographics of Retail:The People of Walmart, Business
Source Premier: U.S. Paint & Coating Manufacturing Industry Report, "Work in
Progress: The Rise in DIY" JWT Trendletter, U.S. Census Data, AAF NSAC Case
Study, Techcast, Mashable, Facebook Graph Search