• Global Facilitator, veteran of 9 Startup Weekends
• Software developer, performance engineer & lexicographer
• Serial entrepreneur (since age 18)
• Wellington based early stage investor
• Passionate about startups and entrepreneurs
• Connect to me on LinkedIn and follow me on Twitter
• $10,000 free advertising from TradeMe
• Free one-year “medium” Xero account
• $200 Amazon Web Services voucher
• 10 days in the next 12 mo at BizDojo Wellington and Auckland
• 5 days in the next 12 months at each of
• eCentre (Albany)
• The Bio Commerce Centre (Palmerston North)
• CreativeHQ (Wellington)
• ALL TEAMS ARE WINNERS!
• Microsoft BizSpark - $10K software and services
• Amazon Web Services - $100 voucher
• Hook up with local developers, designers, mentors and
• A shedload of other stuff, like freebies and big discounts on
really useful stuff like O'Reilly books, SendGrid, UserVoice,
KISSMetrics, MongoHQ, Crazy Egg, Optimizely,
GoToMeeting - see https://startupweekend.rewardli.com/
Q: Can I pitch something I’ve already been working on?
A: No, however well researched and vetted ideas are welcome
Q: What if my idea isn’t selected?
A: Join another team. It’s not really about the idea.
Q: Can I work on my idea even if it’s not selected?
A: Only if you can get another two people on your team
Q: Can I use any props or PowerPoint when I’m pitching?
A: Props are OK, slides are not. You only have one minute!
Q: What happens after Startup Weekend?
A: That’s entirely up to you! We’ll have a reunion though.
Q: What about my intellectual property?
A: It’s probably better out than in.
Q: Do I have to share equity with my teammates?
A: The “Golden Rule” should apply, but it’s up to you.
Reach quick verbal agreement up front, and don’t team
up with assholes.
Q: Can we use resources outside the room?
A: Yes, we encourage you to pull out all stops.
• Meet other participants and mentors
• Explore some areas (e.g., energy, democracy,
transport, health, environment)
• Test your idea in a supportive environment
• Practice pitching (and pitch coaching!)
2.30-5.30pm Friday 18 August
Wellington City Council Chambers
$5, snacks and drinks included
• Doors open 8am
• Refine your MVP and Elevator Pitch
• Define customer/market validation questions
• Some team members “get out of the building”
• Others start building the product and/or
acquiring external resources
• Fill in Startup Weekend Survey / Census
• Lunch: Midday
• Teams give 1-minute pitch, call for help
• Incorporate learnings from validation
• Build furiously
• Sign up first customers
• Dinner: 6pm, another round of 1-minute pitches
• Go-to-market plan
• Front end / back end integration started
• Final presentation structured
• Doors close 1am
• Doors open 8am
• 1 minute pitches
• Build comes together; testing
• Final presentation being fleshed out
• Plan out the future post-Startup Weekend
• Lunch: midday
• Finalise presentation; dry run; tech check
• 5-8pm – Final Presentations
• Social Enterprise Conference – Thu 15 August
• Explore the social enterprise sector
• Develop your social entrepreneurship skills
• Talks from pioneers, skill building workshops
& quality networking
• Develop a blueprint for a "Better Wellington"