1. Opportunity and Potential• Chewing gum is a forbidden candy in Singapore since1992 = OPPORTUNITY• Why was it banned?•Vandalism acts like sticking the gum in train seatsand door sensors on the Mass Rapid Transit metro• This issue creates a POTENTIAL to reutilize the gumin a new, innovative, fun and creative way, bringing thepossibility of giving chewing gum to kids in Singaporeand making them happy again!
2. Breakthrough Solution• Chewing Gum Mosaics:• The main idea is to create public ‘Gum Mosaics’ thatwould basically be formed by a surface on walls, busstops, etc., where people could discard their gums andcollaborate in creating street, modern abstract art.• Possible names:• Gumtastic• Surfaces of Art• Surfaces of Fun•Gum Fun
3. Concept• The concept behind this idea is to turn the discarting of the gum into somethingartistic , creative and collaborative.• The entire population would be envolved in this project and it could becomesomething used in not only Singapore, but several other locations, like schools.•Oxford Street in UK, for example, had 250,000 gums stuck on the pavement in 2000.•Similar concepts are shown inthe Gum Wall in Seattle and theBubblegum Alley in San LuisObispo.
4. Challenge and possible solution• The biggest challenges is:• The population needs to understand theimportance of discarting gum correctly;• The population needs to engage in this idea andneeds to be willing to collaborate;• Solution:•To help propagate this idea, a number of ads couldbe placed on public places with phrases reinforcingthe idea that that’s not a place for a gum to beglued;• Alongside this ad campaign, papers with somegums glued could be already placed in strategicplaces to be used as an initiave, to push people infollowing that idea, like the Gum by Numbers ad.
5. Expected Results•Decrease in public littering;• Street art with social engagement;• Gum back to the people, because who doesn’t lovethem???
8. Values• The values added :• Social•Population engaged;• Cultural• Street Art• Economic•Possibility of recreating a national market• Ecological•Better disposal of the product
9. The end.Thank you for your time!Have a bubble gum!