Is the Android Tablet a Viable
Solution in Extension?
Kansas State University
A little Tablet History
Tablets in the future from the past
Zdnet – Tablet computers: An overview March 3, 2014
The early Apple connection
• Alan Kay from Apple’s Advanced Technology Group wrote a paper in
1972 entitled ‘A Personal Computer for Children of all ages” which
was a blueprint for an education-oriented portable computer. In
summary he said: “The size should be no larger than a notebook;
weight less than 4lbs; the visual display should be able to present at
least 4000 printing quality characters with contrast ratios
approaching that of a book; dynamic graphics of reasonable quality
should be possible; there should be removable local file storage of
at least one million characters (about 500 ordinary book pages)
traded off against several hours of audio files…A combination of this
“carry anywhere” device and a global information utility such as the
ARPA network or two-way cable TV, will bring the libraries and
schools (not to mention stores and billboards) of the world to the
home. One can imagine one of the first programs the owner will
write will is a filter to eliminate advertising.
Tablets as business tools
Source: Alfresco Study: IT Leading Tablet Adoption in the Enterprise (Alfresco, 2013
Which device is used where?
Source: Alfresco Study: IT Leading Tablet Adoption in the Enterprise (Alfresco, 2013)
Putting some perspective on the
iOS vs Android battle
So Which tablet should you get?
• #1 – What do you NEED to use it for?
• #2 – How much can you afford to spend?
• #3 - Do you have previous device experience?
• #4 - Will you use it?
• #5 - Are you willing to shop around?
What drives the sale of either version
tablet – APPS!
• 1 – Work and Organizing
• Email, Browsers, Word and Spreadsheets, Cloud Storage, Money Management, Task Management,
Calendars, Note Taking
• 2 – Entertainment
• Movies and TV, Books, News, Radio and Podcasts, Music, Games, Pro Sports, College Sports
• 3 – Security and Utilities
• Secure Your Phone, Track Your Phone, Home Screen Launchers, Widgets, Basic Utilities, Wallpapers,
Ringtones, Benchmarking Apps
• 4 – What’s Around Town
• Dining In, Restaurants and Bars, Things To Do, Places To Visit, Movies and Theater, Shopping
• 5 – Travel and Maps
• Maps and Turn-by-Turn. Traveling Abroad, Language Translating, Public Transit and Taxi, Outdoors Apps
• 6 – Social and Chat
• Chat and Texting, Social Networking, Internet Phone Calling (VOIP), Blogging
7 – Fitness, Health and Sports
• Getting Fit, Medical Advice, Sports Players
Android Tablet Demo
• What I use and why.
• QuickOffice – Came with the device – Costs, Kingsoft Office – Free and works with
Cloud better, Adobe Reader, email
• Tips and tricks
Five excellent keyboard
replacements for the Android...
Dec 19, 2011 ... If the built-in Android
keyboard is driving you crazy, check out
these alternatives. They can make typing
on your tablet a thousand times easier.
Top 25 Android apps: The best of
Jul 28, 2010 ... Android now has over
70000 apps to choose from.
TechRepublic's Jason Hiner shows you 25
of the best ones to download.
10 must-have Android apps
Jan 25, 2012 ... As Android has evolved, its
apps have improved and proliferated. Jack
Wallen has created a new list of apps
you'll want to install on your tablet.
10 indispensable Android apps
Jan 25, 2012 ... A year ago, I put together
a list of 10 must-have Android apps. Since
then, things have really changed. Not only
has the Android platform ...