465 Union Avenue, Bridgewater, NJ 08807
Phone (908) 429-8008 Ext. 13, Fax (908) 429-8005
Contact: Nilesh Adani www.cyberthinkinc.com
Resume of VISHWAJEET KOTAH (Ref # 2483)
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS:
• Over 8 years of experience in system analysis, application/database design and administration of
which 5 years has been primarily in Oracle database administration of various Production
Systems and UNIX system administration.
• Oracle 8i DBA Certified Professional.
• 2.5 years of extensive exposure in Crash/Disaster Recovery with Quick turn-around times using
the corporate DR standards using highly sophisticated EMC Symmetrix Remote Data Facility
integrated with third party software Omniback II 3.5.
• Proficient in Database Management Procedures (Logical and Physical Design of databases),
Performance Tuning of Oracle Servers and unparalleled exposure towards backup/recovery
• Extensive knowledge in physical distribution of Oracle Database files at OS level for maximum
throughput and optimum performance of the Servers.
• Configured SAP R3 based Oracle instances in HP Openview (Omniback II 3.5) with media pool
design, tape library management and ensuring of timely restorable and recoverable instances using my
knowledge about Oracle Database administration and SAPDBA.
• Knowledge of Multimaster Replication..
• Extensive knowledge in the usage of SAP DBA, brtools 4.6, brbackup, brrestore and brarchive.
• Configured and Implemented Split-mirror backup/restore/recovery technology using Omniback/
SAP/EMC integration with backint and RMAN integration with Omniback.
• Unix System administration skills include working in a High availability environment across fail-
over servers, usage of logical volume manager, activation/de-activation of volume groups, usage of
shell scripts in database administration related automation procedures.
• Installed, configured, tuned and administered databases for mission critical highly secure Banking
applications with high availability in a sophisticated technology related environment.
• Monitored system usage/CPU related statistics at UNIX level for resource allocation and proper
management of system resources.
• Experienced in planning RAID levels 1 to 5.
• At Unix level monitored file systems thresholds, usage of vmstat, iostat, installation and set up of
Solaris 2.6 Servers, with user account management, configuration of print services, Oracle
installation and system set-up activities.
• Responsible for the installation and up gradation of Omniback II, SAP R3 integration with EMC
SymmConsole 4.x software.
• Administered databases of various sizes 40 GB to 1. 3 Terabytes.
• Usage of SQL in Database design and development apart from Database Tuning.
• Involved in planning RAID levels and allocation of files among different disks.
• Capable to work independently or as a part of a Team, for timely project execution and hand-offs.
• Project Leader for interconnecting of ABM’s all throughout India through an intermediary Tandem
Base 24 machine using VSAT links.
• Well-developed System management skills with flair towards completing projects within time and a
liking for problem identification, tracking and resolution.
• Worked at the Analysis/Design level of SDLC and was an active member in the process of
automation of various Financial reporting tasks.
• 24 x 7 support for any critical Production Database issues.
Operating Systems : HP-UNIX 11.0, Sun Solaris, WINDOWS NT/2000,
Novell NetWare 4.1.
Third Generation Languages : Lotus Notes Domino 4.5, COBOL & C
Database Management Systems : FoxPro 2.6 & FOCUS
Page 1 of 5
Resume of VISHWAJEET KOTAH
Relational Database Management Systems : ORACLE 7.x, 22.214.171.124, 8i (OEM), SYBASE
Word Processors : WordPerfect 6.0, OFFICE 2000 Suite
Banking Application Software : Micro Banker rel.7.0, ISBS
Backup Software : Omniback II 2.55/3.0/3.1/3.5 (SAP/EMC-SRDF &
Hardware Platforms worked on : HP V/N/L/K -Class Systems, Sun Ultra Sparc Systems
HP LH 5/100 Servers, HP 9000, Pentium
Nov ‘98 to Present Lucent Technologies Inc. Warren,
Four DBA team managing Backup and Disaster Recovery aspects of eighty-seven Oracle 126.96.36.199 based
SAP R3 Instances. Responsible for designing and implementing new Backup strategies and successful
integration with HP Omniback II 3.5 of all SAP R/3 based production instances apart from other database
administration activities. Also performed recovery of Oracle instances. Successfully conducted disaster
recovery exercises using the corporate DR standards using highly sophisticated EMC Symmetrix Remote
Data Facility integrated with third party software Omniback II 3.5. Co-ordinate tape management, library
management and drive and media pool allocation. Achievements include Designing and Testing of all fail
proof backup strategies that were implemented nation-wide. Automation of archive logs backups to Stk.’s
thereby maintaining the file system threshold for absolutely no database downtime apart from keeping in
mind the DR perspective
Extensively used Omniback that was integrated with EMC’s Symmetric Remote Data Facility and Time
Finder in our large Oracle based SAP R3 environment for the most ultimate sophisticated high-end
backup solution. Also responsible for the installation and up gradation of Omniback II, SAP R3/RMAN
integration with EMC SymmConsole 4.x software. Installed, configured, tuned and administered
databases for mission critical applications with high availability and minimum downtime. Involved in
physical distribution of Oracle Database files at the OS level for maximum throughput, minimum I/O
overhead and optimum performance of the Servers. Proficient in Database related maintenance activities
including usage of SQL in Database design and tuning of System Global Areas. An active member in the
process of automation of various processes.
Extensive knowledge in the usage of SAPDBA, brtools 4.6, brbackup, brrestore and brarchive. Well
versed in the movement of hardware, setting up of the SAP/Oracle environment and data extraction
through HP Omniback, with respect to moving of Data Centers, implementation of Standby databases
and System refreshes.
A major key player in the execution of projects related to the following:
• Splitting of SAP instances of Avaya Communications from Lucent Technologies Inc.
• Micro-electronics division of Lucent (now with Tyco Electronics)
• A multi million dollar cost cutting initiative for moving all the eighty-seven Oracle 188.8.131.52 based SAP
R3 Instances (including Production) to various locations across the continental US. (Data-center
• Euro conversion activities (on-going presently)
Sep ‘98 to Oct ‘98 Mustang Survival Inc., Vancouver, Canada
Oracle Applications/Database Administrator
Short term temporary position to maintain, administer and support all aspects of database and major
application systems. Main responsibility was to configure and set-up Oracle Replication Server across
the border and ensure database stability and efficiency by maintaining and supporting database systems
through performing database structure and normalization, optimization of the database to the system and
Page 2 of 5
Resume of VISHWAJEET KOTAH
development of a disaster recovery plan. Assisting in Unix and NT operation systems support. Ensuring
system stability and efficiency by performing proper installation configuration and timely upgrades.
• Sized and created databases, planned the physical and logical layout for space management.
• Physical layout and design at Unix Level.
• Installed and configured multimaster replication across the border.
• Tuned SGA, especially memory and disk usage and optimized for overall query performance.
• Involved in planning RAID levels, file striping and segment striping.
• Automated various administration tasks by using cron jobs.
Feb ‘97 to Jul ‘98 UTI BANK LIMITED,
Lead Oracle DBA/Unix Administrator
UNIX administration on Sun Ultra sparc with Sun OS 2.5/2.6 as the operating System on Oracle 7.3
database. Forecasting Branch’s IT requirements/solutions and ensuring smooth operation of the VSAT
network, maintenance as required at the Branch Level, user assistance, providing support to queries related
to software usage and its implications on the database, day to day maintenance of Banking application
software (ISBS) and End user support.
Database Administration responsibilities included Oracle instance Startup and Shutdown, constant
monitoring/creation/alteration of tablespaces, database security, authentication & creation of users, Day to
day database backups using Export/Import/tar utilities. Back dated/future dated processing, Database
recovery from failures. Initialization of Development Database in order to perform back-dated/future-dated
processing for ascertain profits, business expansion plans, budgeting, forecasting unexpected errors which
are likely to be encountered/previously encountered during processing.
At the operating system level, constantly monitor the disk space usage statistics, login creation
Administration/monitoring of print services. Setting of file permissions, remotely logging into other
servers over the country to dump/retrieve files through VSAT network. Technical support to other
branches over Mumbai and assisting users in effective usage of Information Systems/Banking Application
software/Lotus Notes Domino 4.5.
Scripts for generation of MIS information such as status of deposits/advances, daily business turnover,
ABM card request status reporting, dormant accounts reporting, currency wise foreign exchange
reserves/statistics, maturity wise deposit analysis, bill discounting/maturing analysis.
The job involved administering two instances of Oracle, one of which was for Development purposes and
the other was the Banking Instance. The Banking instance is on Sun Ultra Sparc Servers that are fault
tolerant systems with fail-over capability and Raid 5 architecture. The databases are highly secure and
easily manageable to ensure the lowest possible downtime.
• Installed and configured Oracle software on two Sun Ultra Sparc servers. The servers were provided
with software driven ‘fail-over’ capability where each would act as a backup for the other in case of
• Sizing and re-creating databases, planning for growth and space management.
• Tuned databases, especially memory and disk usage and optimized for overall query performance.
• Established backup and recovery procedures. Also involved in planning RAID levels and allocation of
files among different disks.
• Also managed to increase performance by weekly table size monitoring of extents and periodic
recreation of indexes to enhance data accessibility and recording of daily peak hour hit/miss ratio in the
Cache for tuning of SGA.
• Purged data from large tables and shrank index sizes periodically thereby improving database
Page 3 of 5
Resume of VISHWAJEET KOTAH
• Established and tested backup and recovery strategies. Customized Oracle backup scripts so that they
work in tandem with fail-over procedures.
• Extensively used cron jobs to automate day-to-day administration tasks.
• Also involved in purchasing & implementing latest technologically advanced products/systems in
order to keep the bank on the forefront with the use of cutting edge technology.
Jan ‘95 to Jan ‘97 BANK OF BAHRAIN & KUWAIT BSC,
Analyzing PC/Server related problems and ensuring smooth operation of the network, development of in-
house application software, user assistance, inactive account procedures, administration of cc: Mail,
providing support to queries related to software developed in-house, day to day maintenance of Banking
application software (Micro Banker). Downloading information generated by Micro Banker for generation
of other MIS reports as may be requested by the Management as well as for other queries/reports as may be
requested by the Auditors. Ensuring smooth performance of the Database with constant check on the
integrity constraints, on-line and off-line backups. Recovering of the Oracle database in case of an
abnormal failure / shutdown. Granting/ Revoking of privileges/ roles to users of the database based on the
access levels. Also developed automated procedures for other Banking operations that were currently
manual and their phase-by-phase design, documentation and implementation. Systems Administration of
Novell NetWare 4.1 and UNIX
• Development of core modules implementing business functions: application design, writing code with
centralized modules to implement business functions.
• Overall project management: hardware sizing and selection, users’ training, estimation and
management of development time, programming, conducting structured walk-through, phase by phase
design and their effective implementation.
• Novell network administration: installation and configuration, performance tuning, Workstation
setup and Server administration, planning and automating system backup procedures using
Backup/Arcserve, writing logon scripts, user accounts maintenance and security management.
• System Design and Documentation: design of MIS reports, input documents, currency wise controls
and database interactions and downloads.
• Database creation and Maintenance: running database population scripts for automated downloads
from the Banking application software. Automatic purging into history tables based on time period.
• Currency wise balancing of physical cash (denomination wise) with the cashier.
• Shared file access setup for supervisor/manager level accessibility keeping the cash related security
issues up to date.
• Automatic purging of reconciled drafts into history tables based on time period.
• Shared file access setup for supervisor/manager level accessibility keeping security issues up to date.
Aug ‘93 to Dec ‘94 CAN FIN HOMES
Mainframe System Analyst
Responsible for smooth operation of Computer systems apart from generation of other MIS information,
monitoring of Bad recoveries General accounting such as generation of vouchers. Also involved in
development of software in COBOL as per the requirements of Chief Manager and automation of Loan
Processing documents. UNIX System administration. Activities involve regular backups, login creation,
and system security, setting file permissions, recovery from system failures.
• System requirements determination and Process Analysis & Design.
• Designing of MIS reports, input documents, controls, online dialogues for easy operation at the user
• Generalized Data file Design for future enhancements and incorporating special features for MIS and
effective computation of installment’s / recoveries.
Page 4 of 5
Resume of VISHWAJEET KOTAH
• Bachelor of Commerce (Computers), Osmania University, India
• Oracle 8i Certified Professional.
• Advanced Diploma in Systems Management, National Institute of Information Technology, India.
• Oracle Database Administration, Asset International, India
Page 5 of 5