(Take a moment to reflect on your own understanding of
Bullying is UNFAIR and ONE-SIDED.
It happens when someone keeps
hurting, frightening, threatening, or
leaving someone out on purpose.
Questions to ask youself:
1.Is it unfair?
2.Is it one-sided?
3.Is someone using power
in a hurtful way?
ES Student Bullying Survey
● We noticed that students and parents were
expressing concern about bullying at RIS.
● Bullying meant different things to different
● We wanted to see what the students really
feel and know about bullying.
● We want to address the problem, if one
● Nearly all students participated. (295)
295 broken down….
● a few classes did not participate due to scheduling issues…
1. Have you been bullied at school?
We wanted to get at what students actually think. Even though we don’t share a
common definition, it is important to see the perception that exists.
2. Where have you been bullied?
Identify the location and work as a staff to address these concerns!
3. Did you tell a teacher that you
Reporting bullying behavior and a process that is understood by the community
is essential in addressing problem behavior.
4. Have you ever told a bully to stop?
Do students voices matter? Do we have the tools as a community to hear each
other? Do we respect what “no” means?
5. Do you think adults can stop
Do the students feel like adults are supportive? Do they trust adults to help?
What is RIS/ES doing to help our
students with lifetime skills for dealing
with unpleasant situations?
● Morning Meeting
● Kelso (Grades K-5)
● Second Steps (Grades K-5)
● Steps to Respect (Grades 4-5,
Morning Meeting (all-school)...
● Builds community
● Sets the tone for the day
● Teacher gets a “reading” on how students
● Opportunity to address social and emotional
● Listening, eye contact, community building
● Taught/Facilitated by HR teacher
Kelso (K-3): (see handout)
● Taught by Counselor
● Teaches Conflict Resolution Skills. Also, a shared
definition of Bullying (taken from Steps to Respect) will
be taught and reinforced.
Second Steps (K-5) :
● Introduced by Counselor, later taught by HR teacher
● Teaches Empathy Skills, Emotion Management and
Steps to Respect (4, 5+MS):
● Taught by the HR teacher. (January - March)
● Teaches Anti- Bullying and Friendship social skills.