Making the Intangibles Tangible
Bio – Darrin Murriner
A Few Questions
1. Do you currently or have you worked with challenging
2. Thinking of the best team you ever worked on, was
this team at your current organization or a previous
3. Would you say your current team is truly a team or a
collection of individuals?
12% Direct Cost
Most important factors
for team success
#1 - Relationships
#2 - Communication
Teams are failing…
Why People Matter
“Individuals & Interactions Over Processes &
*2/3 US Workforce
But how do we get them to work together?
A People Model
FORMING – An Exercise
Go to cloverleaf.me/live
A team can stay in forming and never get to
performing based on how frequent the interactions.
Change in team membership
Goal: Speed through the process of Storming to Norming
* Rethink the kick-off meeting
1. Builds empathy & understanding (it’s not personal)
2. Empowers the team to leverage each other
3. Shifts identity away from individual to team
• Reinforce the things that we learned
• Identify underlying issues and force these to the surface
• Improve performance over the long-term, not just today
Go from this…. To this…..
1. What are ways you have built team cohesion?
2. How do you stay in touch with the unique needs of
3. Have you gotten involved to resolve conflicts or do
you coach your people on working through those
Somehow we have de-emphasized the people that are at the heart of that (focus on tasks, budgets, timelines and we lose sight that there are complex beings on the other end of those numbers)
Of course people matter, but how do we put these people together in a way that contributes our best work to the organization?