2. Four Types of Social Security Benefits
A Certified Retirement Financial Advisor, Darcy Bergen serves as the president of Bergen
Financial Group, which offers education consulting services to retirees and clients who are
planning for retirement. Darcy Bergen oversees a team of financial advisors with a combined
experience of over 100 years to help clients in all matters related to insurance, investments, legacy
planning, taxation, and Social Security.
3. Four Types of Social Security Benefits
Social Security is one of the main sources of income for many people in retirement. To develop a
strategy that maximizes income in retirement, it is important to understand the different categories
of Social Security benefits.
4. Four Types of Social Security Benefits
1. Retirement Benefit - Individuals who have worked at least 10 years are eligible to receive
retirement benefits when they reach the age of 62. The amount of retirement benefit depends on
the amount and length of contributions prior to retirement. Those who wait until the age of 65 or 70
to receive the benefit will receive a larger monthly check.
5. Four Types of Social Security Benefits
2. Dependent Benefit - Individuals who are married to someone who is eligible for a Social Security
worker or disability benefit, will also receive a fixed percentage of this benefit. Any minor children
will also be eligible for dependent benefits based on the worker’s contribution and earning history.
6. Four Types of Social Security Benefits
3. Disability Benefit - Individuals who are not retired but who qualify for the Social Security’s
disability program are eligible to receive disability benefits comparable to the amount of their full
7. Four Types of Social Security Benefits
4. Survivor Benefit - The surviving spouse and the minor or disabled children of an individual who
meet the Social Security’s work requirements will receive survivor benefits, which will be based on
the worker’s earnings record.