Project Based Learning With Technology Daniel Downs
Project Based Learning With
Daniel Downs, Ed.D.
Digital Learning Specialist
Andover High School
My Experience with PBL & Technology
• Classroom Teacher Instructing
High School Students using
Multimedia Software with
(Technology Driven curriculum with Embedded
• Presentations,Projects and
Tutorials Using Screencasting
Youtube Page-Daniel Downs
• Integrated Formal &
Summative Web Based
Assessment & Project
Presentation (Google Documents)
• Authentic Collaborative Group
Projects (Real World 21st Century
Skills, Students Sharing
Knowledge, Collaboration, Leadership Skills)
Project Based Learning Background
What Is It?
Project-based learning is a teaching
approach that engages students in
sustained, collaborative real-world
Projects are organized around a driving
question, and students participate in a
variety of tasks that seek to meaningfully
address this question(Coffey,2010).
History Of PBL
Why Use It?
PBL provides a format for implementing
several very powerful instructional
principles, including differentiating
instruction, scaffolding instruction, and
facilitating socially constructed
This approach fosters the development in
students of a sophisticated
understanding of content-area subjects,
as well as sophisticated development of
effective and efficient strategies for
informational-gathering and processing,
communicating, critical, analytical, and
creative thinking, collaborating, and goal
setting and self-evaluating.
Embedding Technology Into PBL
• Independent learners with
technology and core subject
• Improved skill fluency with
• Work on authentic projects and
collaborate to problem solve
(real world problems)
Sample Authentic Scenarios
• Powerful examples of learning
What kinds of projects are
immediately possible using
Project Type Available Software/Tools
Videos/Presentations iMovie,Prezi, Photobooth
Student Created Tutorials/Learning
Student Critiques & Evaluations Google Documents( Forms, Docs)
SurveyMonkey, Learning Journals
PBL With Technology Assessment:
Sample Project Based Rubric
• What Skills Using the technology are included?
• How is core subject matter content knowledge
• How are the interactions/sharing of students
• How is core subject problem solving and content
understanding represented in the final
• How Authentic are the approaches to solving the
central questions and creation of final projects?
Developing A PBL Rubric
Description Point Value
Project Authenticity How does the product reflect a real world
Was there collaboration/leadership/ethic?
Was time used effectively?
What tech skills were learned?
How was fluency with known tools improved?
Core Topics & Learning What core subject
Knowledge was shown?
Was a deeper knowledge of core learning
reflected in the learning?
Problem Solving How did students address the central problems?
Were their solutions successful?
What acquired knowledge solved problems?
Required Components Were standard project requirements met?
Were requirements integrated into projects?
How do We Integrate Technology Into
Classroom Projects & Lessons
• Choose Technology Driven
• Include Group Project
• Integrate critical technology
skills into formative &
• Include a final technology
driven presentation Beyond
the required project in
which student explain
process or authenticity.
Planning Strategies For PBL With
• Online documents or presentation space
(youtube, slideshare, edmodo, teacher tube)
• Available Technology (multimedia,web based)
• Define Outcomes (can be single or multiple
projects in the same unit:
critiques, presentations, posters)
• Develop a sample final project
• Rubric Development for PBL Unit or a simple
• Simple Modifications to existing lessons
In class Project Strategies To
• Grouping(student strengths & weaknesses and group
size….your strengths and weaknesses)
• Formative & Summative Assessment(Online Learning
Journals,Critiques,Check In Quizzes,Skill tests)
• Evaluate and Inquire About Available Technology(in
classroom technology & labs)
• Conceptualization time/group process
Lets Walk Through A Plan!
• Let’s Walk Through Some Questions to help us
Develop A Idea for project and strategize the
development of a rubricPBL Lesson Planning
Please review the linked documents for more