Touring exhibitions internationally is no longer an activity dominated by blockbuster exhibitions produced by large national museums in Europe and North America. Museums of all types and sizes, across the continents of the globe, are producing touring exhibitions for their audiences using innovative touring and business models. The benefits for museums are not merely financial. Museums receive wider exposure and reach new audiences when touring their collections or receiving a touring exhibition. Successful and sustainable partnerships are also key to the long-term benefits of developing collaborations beyond touring exhibitions.
Following the same trajectory as the museum boom in China is an increasing interest in touring exhibitions. In this participatory MuseumNext workshop delegates had the opportunity to:
- Explore the motivations, benefits and challenges of touring to and from China for museums of all sizes.
- Share their experience of touring exhibitions to and from China and learn from other participants.
- Consider and develop successful strategies for touring to and from China.
- Debunk some of the myths about touring to and from China.
- Take away practical advice for touring to and from China.
Workshop participants will have an opportunity to learn through case studies of touring exhibitions to and from China, but not just the blockbuster exhibitions that are more widely known about. Instead participants will learn about:
- Why regional museums in the UK and China are touring their exhibitions.
- Innovative touring and business models for touring exhibitions to and from China.
- The non-financial motivations and benefits of international touring.
- The myths and realities of touring to and from China.
- How to develop new networks and contacts in China.
- Available resources, advice and information on international touring exhibitions.