A Walk into the Down Memory Lane
January 1937: Fr Rauw SJ, the then Superior of the Poona
Mission,received orders from the Jesuit Superior General, Fr
Ledochowski, to begin Theology classes in Poona.
•11 June 1937: De Nobili College is born on the top floor
of the Jesuit residence at St Vincent’s School, Camp.
• Fr Rauw is its first Rector and unofficial founder.
•Meanwhile the search for a suitable site for a new building
3 September 1939: World War II
breaks out. Eleven German-speaking
Jesuits are interned.
These comprise German, Austrian, and
Swiss nationals. Among them is Fr Josef
Neuner whose name later gets
inextricably linked with De Nobili
January 1941: Archbishop Henry
Doering of Poona sells a plot of land
at Ramwadi to the Jesuits. This is
where DNC will receive its second
birth. Plans for construction are now
January 1943: DNC faces a massive
blow. The buildings are now completed
and ready for occupation. But sadly, just
then, the military takes over the DNC
buildings and uses it as an ‘Educational
Training Centre’ for the Southern
The theologate thus continues at St
Vincent’s School, Camp.
4February 1948: The DNC buildings
are returned to us by the military, and
classes in Theology finally begin at
the present location, with thirty five
scholastics and four Professors.
•Classes in Theology began here in 1948 and
Philosophy in 1952. Thomistic, or Scholastic
Theology & Philosophy were the staple diet.
• Most classes (except for Natural Sciences,
Canon Law and Moral Theology)
were conducted in Latin .