BASIC CONCEPT OF
Present by :
Meaning of Philosophy from 3 Angles :
1. Etymology (Language)
Comes from the Greek word philosophia
philo = love - Sophia = knowledge
Love for knowledge or wisdom
Different philosophers have different definitions for the meaning of
Philosophy means “thinking thoroughly, free from the bonds of
tradition and having the following characteristics, namely systematic,
radical and universal”.
- Thinking systematically
- Thinking rationally
- Thinking universally
Branches of Philosophy
• Metaphysics (ontology) : speculative, cause-and-effect relationship
Eg : What is truth? What is mankind?
• Axiology : ethics and aesthetics
Eg : What is goodness? What is beauty?
• Epistemology : knowledge and beliefs
Eg : What is knowledge? What are the sources of knowledge?
• Logic : differentiates between valid and confusing ideas.
Eg : What is good reasoning? Not so good reasoning?
Concept of Education
• According to the Dictionary of Education (1979),
“Education is a comprehensive process to develop an individual’s
abilities and behaviour. It is also a social process which provides
opportunities for the individual to acquire social skills for personal
development. Furthermore, it is conducted in a selected and controlled
institutionalized environment which we call school.”
• The role of education is to nurture good behaviour in man so that
they will be law-abiding, loyal and love their king and country.
• The education unifies all knowledge and that education is grounded
in the Quran. Education plays an important role in creating a
balance for the physical, intellectual and spiritual potentials of the
Concept of Philosophy of Education
• Socialization process – Gives students opportunities to interact with
one another in order to help them.
• Cultural development – Creates and promotes culture.
• Social integration – Become more united as a result of the teaching of
cultural values and norms.
• Social placement – School achievement is evaluated based on