Concept of collaborative and open innovation approaches for development of agriculture data hub in africa
Concept of Collaborative and Open Innovation Approaches for
Development of Agriculture Data Hub in Africa
Club of Ossiach
• Vison of FOODIE4Africa is to use collaborative a living lab approach,
connecting communities from Africa, African scientists, researchers
and developers, Agriculture and Environmental networks, public
bodies, Open Data angels with researchers, IT specialist and data
providers from Europe to run real large scale technological
experiments in more countries of Africa.
• We would like integrate Big and Open Data for Agriculture, which have
become in last years a big challenge in all World.
• We would like re used results of successfully finished project FOODIE,
which has developed models and a platform for Open Data in Agriculture,
SDI4apps with focus on open data in regional development, DataBio
dealing with big data for bio-economy, IoF2020 with focus on sensors.
• We would like use COPERNICUS offering Earth Observation Open Data and
• We would like integrate providers of meteorological forecasts as source of
information critical for mitigation on climatic changes in Africa
• We would like join large community of African agronoms, scientist,
developers and users to developed on the top new applications focused on
• A community approach is needed, as the “community” forms the essential
link between the small rural farm and the globalized urban market.
• A community is a system in which food production, processing, distribution
and consumption are integrated to enhance the environmental, economic,
social and nutritional health of a particular place.
• The community approach emphasizes on strengthening existing (or
developing new) relationships between all components of the food system.
This reflects a prescriptive approach to building a food system, one that
holds sustainability - economic, environmental and social - as a long-term
goal toward which a community strives.
• Objective 1: To form FOODIE4Africa Living Lab based on co-creation
methodology for utilization of ICT, Big and Open Data for African
Sustainable Agriculture, Forestry and Rural Development.
• Objective 2: Effective usage of ICT technologies Open Data and Big
Data (ODBD) by the provision of a FOODIE4Africa toolbox to support
the needs in Africa related to Agriculture and Food Security, Rural
Development and Forestry
• Objective 3: Implement a requirements driven and versatile
FOODIE4Africa development methodology and toolkit that can be
specialized to support a broad spectrume of use cases.
• Objective 4: Ensure effective utilization of existing data sets for
improving Agriculture Sustainable Farming, Forestry in Africa
• Objective 5: Ensure a wide-spread use of the FOODIE4Africa
solution and methodology for utilisation in Open Data and Big Data
for agriculture, forestry, environment and regional development
• Objective 6: Build long term sustainable model for utilisation of
Open and Big data for the purpose of African Agriculture, Forestry,
and Rural development
• Objective 7: Opening the possibilities for broader African promotion
and utilization of the FOODIE4Africa framework for agriculture,
forestry and agriculture
• Objective 8: Ensure interoperability and easy setup of new multi-
vendor applications utilizing FOODIE4Africa ICT aided policy
development methodology and toolbox