Getting started with cybersecurity through CTFs by Shruti Dixit & Geethna TK
GETTING STARTED WITH SECURITY
By Geethna T K and Shruti Dixit
● Reverse Engineering | Binary Exploitation
● CTF Players
● Part of Team bi0s | Team Shakti
● Sophomores - Amrita School of Engineering, Amritapuri
● @rudyerudite | @GeethnaTk
What is a CTF?
● CTF - Capture The Flag
● Ethical hacking contest
● Hack the code and get the flag
● Play as a team or go solo!
Book Learning V/S CTF style learning
● Institutions - emphasize theory rather than practice.
● CTFs are build upon teamwork.
● CTFs - perceive attacker’s point of view.
● Communities build through CTFs
● And yes, learning is free of course!
Involves understanding the
cryptosystem and breaking the
● Sage Math
● Pycrypto Library
Understanding and analyzing a
system and looking for
● IDA Pro
● Binary Ninja
Binary exploitation is the art of
triggering vulnerabilities and
redirecting code execution to
perform functions that are
unintended by the developer.
Finding hidden backdoors in
websites with an ingenuous look
● Edit this Cookie
● Just Hit Ctrl+Shift+I!
Cyber Forensics is a science which
deals with techniques used to track
the footprints left behind a cyber
Timeline of Team bi0s
Number 1 in India in
2016, 2017 and 2018.
Currently ranked 7th
The first of the kind
Students club in India
Finished in top 10 in
1 2 3 4
What CTF teaches you?
● Team building
● Importance of secure Coding
● Essence of the real infosec exploits
● Enhances your skill sets