1. Ability to perform repetitive tasks• Version 1 → Errors• Focus on a task• Find BUGS…
1. Ability to perform repetitive tasks• Version 1 → Errors• Focus on a task• Find bugs…• Report bugs• Continue testing• Game finished• Wait for new version• Start process again
2. Attention to detail• Observation• Photographic memory• Able to see changes
3. Language skills• Writing Skills• Good Grammar, Spelling, Punctuation• Make sure the text is accurate and easy to understand• Localisation → Foreign Language Skill• Localisation → Last link in Localisation chain• Make sure everything is in the same language
4. Gaming skillsFond of videogames / Being a gamer→→ Important but not absolutely necessary
5. Communication skills• Communication ≠ Talking• Communication → Making sure the right message received by the right person• Communication is KEY• Communicate problems → Is it worth testing?• Communicate solutions → We can fix it soon
6. Knowing the target public• It is important → Do NOT ignore• Testers know what the gamer/user wants• Knowing the game you are creating is key• If a game is not good, don’t blame the tester!
7. Good Knowledge of Platform Holders’ Standards• Console, PC, Smartphones, Online, Betting games• Videogames → Nintendo, Sony & Microsoft• Wrong Game Standards → Game NOT approved→→ Fails submission → Game is NOT distributed
Ways of carrying out the LocalisationIn-House vs OutsourcedThe Translator is the Tester
In-HouseTeam In-House → Expensive? Not necessarily
Outsourcing• Independent Translators or Companies• High volume → Companies → Might use several translators proofreaders → Inconsistency• Just one proofreading → Fix inconsistencies• Agencies → Can do discounts but also charge administration fees How about having ONE translator + ONE proofreader?
In-House• Translator/Tester → Right next to coder• Fix possible Localisation issues instantly• Help designing a game according to target culture• Available at all times• No admin fees, no rush fees Independent translator → In-House
Translator = Tester• Tester knows all in-game text• Tester can make the right language changes• In-House (Language skilled tester)• Outsourcer (Independent translators) THE BEST