WE´RE GOING TO TALK
• Who is François Pienaar?
• Which sport does he practice?
• Sport rules
WHO IS FRANÇOIS PIENAAR?
• Jacobus Francois Pienaar was born in Vereeniging, South Africa,
January the 2nd of 1967. He was a South African rugby player who
played in the position of wing on the third line. As captain of the
Springboks, led his team to victory in the Rugby World Cup 1995.
• In 1993, Transvaal won the Super 10, the Currie Cup and Lion Cup with
Pienaar as captain. In 1994, the team retained the Currie Cup and the
Springboks also achieved some memorable victories. Pienaar was
elected international player of the year by Rugby World magazine.
François was the captain of Nelson Mandela´s team in South Africa. They inspired the movie "Invictus“
and they helped to ensure the equality in this country.
WHAT SPORT DOES HE
• He practices rugby.
• Rugby is a contact sport team born in England, where it took the name
from football rules created at the College of the city of Rugby in the
• It is very popular in all nations of the British Isles also in former British
colonies and France.
RULES OF THE GAME
• Two teams of fifteen players face
• The field must be rectangular and usually grass
• Each field has two posts at the ends joined by a crossbar to three
• The ball is oval and weighs 500 grs
• A ruling party has two times forty minutes
• There are two main ways to rate
• The rules do not allow the use of any rigid protection, as
these could cause injury to players. You can only use
padded protections to 5 mm thick in some areas of the
body. A mouthguard, an elastic shirt with protection for
shoulders and neck, and a soft cap is normally used to
protect the ears.