SXSW Interactive: A guide for getting sh*t done while you're OOO

42,396 views

Published on

SXSW Interactive is four days of madness, and if the company is footing the bill, you're probably still expected to get some work done while you're there. This guide will help you free up extra time, so you can still GSD when you're OOO.

Published in: Business, Career, Self Improvement

SXSW Interactive: A guide for getting sh*t done while you're OOO

  1. INTERACTIVE A Guide for Getting Sh*t Done While You’re OOO
  2. SOUTH BY SOUTHWEST
  3. SOUTH BY SOUTHWEST IS MADNESS!
  4. SXSW Interactive alone is 4 straight days and nights of sessions, networking events and parties.
  5. So how do you actually get any work done?
  6. There are lots of survival guides out there.
  7. They all say pretty much the same thing:
  8. They all say pretty much the same thing: Wear comfortable shoes. Drink lots of water. h2o h2o Eat well. Or bring Tums. h2o TUMS Party, but not like you did in college . Assume everything will take longer than you think.
  9. Great advice. Now let’s get down to business.
  10. The goal is to return to work after SXSW feeling inspired by innovative ideas. And some people do.
  11. 1% inspired But the rest of us are exhausted. 99% tired
  12. Our inboxes are overflowing.
  13. Our projects are overdue.
  14. Our coworkers are annoyed. !#*!&!
  15. So for those of you who want to attend SXSW and still get sh*t done...
  16. This guide is for you.
  17. Here are 5 ways to find time to be productive while you’re out of the office.
  18. 1 Tighten up your session game.
  19. Make a list of must-attend sessions and stick to it. @sxswinteractive DIY old timey cat photography? I’ll pass. #NoFOMO
  20. Pick consecutive sessions that you can walk between. SESSION #2 SESSION #1 SESSION #3
  21. SXSW cabs might as well be unicorns. SESSION #2 SESSION #1 SESSION #3
  22. Keep early mornings light so you can check email (and extend your recovery time).
  23. 2 Finish anything that’s due the week you come back.
  24. Come on. We both know you’re not going to finish those TPS reports on the flight home. z z z z z zz z z z z z
  25. 3 Ace conference calendar etiquette.
  26. Reschedule your weekly recurring meetings. M T WT F M T WT F M T WT F
  27. Set a reminder for an early daily check-in with coworkers back at the office. That’ll help eliminate surprises later in the day.
  28. 4 Pack gear that keeps you connected during downtime.
  29. Mophie® iPhone Battery Case By day your smartphone will act as a notepad, camera, map and concierge. By night, you’ll need to follow up on emails and connect with friends and coworkers. Be prepared with an extra battery.
  30. Powerstrip Don’t want to spring for a Mophie? Keep in mind outlets are scarce. Best to be prepared, and make a few friends while you charge.
  31. Wi-Fi Hotspot Though Wi-Fi is abundant, it can also be fickle. Bring along a hotspot to avert any crisis.
  32. 5 Go mobile.
  33. These apps will buy you extra time and help you multi-task.
  34. These apps will buy you extra time and help you multi-task. SXSW GO Check your schedule, find your session, take notes, and email them to friends or coworkers, all in one app. Nice!
  35. These apps will buy you extra time and help you multi-task. Eventbrite Don’t stumble through email confirmations or conference directories. Having all your event tickets in one place will save you time and headaches.
  36. These apps will buy you extra time and help you multi-task. TaskRabit You forgot your business cards at your Airbnb rental that’s 10 miles away? A TaskRabbit can have them in your hand before the end of Elon Musk’s keynote.
  37. These apps will buy you extra time and help you multi-task. Quip Need to quickly provide feedback on a coworkers’ project? Quip is document sharing built for mobile, so you can collaborate in real time while you’re OOO.
  38. Oh, there’s one other app you should check out.
  39. It’s ours.
  40. Cotap makes mobile messaging with coworkers fast and easy, and it’s awesome for coordinating at conferences because there’s no need to swap phone numbers.
  41. If you’re headed to SXSW, we’d love to give you a t-shirt. Download Cotap and message erin@cotap.com for details.
  42. Thanks for reading! See you at SXSW. Cotap.com/download

×