MANOR LAKES P-12 COLLEGE
YEAR 7 TEGAN AND CORRIE
WHAT DOES GENIUS MEAN?
n. pl. gen·ius·es
a. Extraordinary intellectual and creative power.
b. A person of extraordinary intellect and talent: "One is not born a
genius, one becomes a genius" (Simone de Beauvoir).
c. A person who has an exceptionally high intelligence quotient,
typically above 140.
WHAT IS GENIUS HOUR?
• You are required to learn something completely new whilst
involved in this project. As stated, you cannot regurgitate
information you already know. You can however focus your
learning towards something you are passionate about!
• The information that you share has to tell me more about
your topic than what Google could. For example, if you are
wanting to tell me about how to play Basketball, I can find
that on Google, YouTube, etc… Think deeper!
• Your project must have a driving question. What is it you are
doing? What are you wanting to find out?
• The information that you learn must be shared and presented
to others, i.e. the World!
WHAT IS IT?
• A CHANCE FOR YOU TO LEARN ABOUT SOMETHING YOU DO
NOT ALREADY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT AND THEN PRESENT
THAT NEW LEARNED INFORMATION IN ANY WAY YOU WISH.
WHAT IS IT NOT?
• TIME WASTING OR FREE TIME.
• FOR YOU TO SHARE INFORMATION YOU ALREADY KNOW
OUR GENIUS HOUR RULES
1. YOU ARE REQUIRED TO LEARN SOMETHING COMPLETELY NEW WHILST
INVOLVED IN THIS PROJECT.
2. THE ANSWER TO YOUR DRIVING QUESTION NEEDS TO BE MORE COMPLEX THAN
SIMPLY FINDING AN ANSWER ON GOOGLE.
3. YOU MUST SHARE WHAT YOU LEARN WITH OTHERS ACROSS THE WORLD.
Can we work with someone else? No, not this time around. Depending on how well you can
work individually we may invest in this second time around.
How long do we have to work on this? There is no official timeline, but I’m thinking an hour a
week for the rest of the term. I want your presentations to be detailed and thorough!
Does ‘our choice’ for the topic mean anything? Anything within reason. I will need to approve
your topic / driving question before you can begin.
Do I have to present it to the front of the class? You have to present your findings in some
way. For example if you make a ‘how to’ film, then you will show the movie. If you make a
model, you will need to present what you made and discovered to the class. This is about
sharing YOUR passions and ideas. What you present will also be posted online for the world