Be the first to like this
During this session I’ll speak about things that I’ve learned being a father, a manager, a coach and a trainer, things that every leader needs to know.
- What is this? Asked the CEO.
- The audit report you requested, said John, the IT manager.
- Are you joking? Have you ever seen an audit report like this before?
- I’ll change it immediately.
- A complete waste of time and money. This shall never happen again! And then he left. John was shocked. This was the first time he had something meaningful to do in his new job. During the lunch break, he said to his good old friend, an experienced consultant in IT management:
- My first two weeks as an IT Manager … And my boss has already yelled at me. There was something wrong with the audit report and I don’t even know what … Can you review my report before I send it back to my CEO?
- Sure. I can also help you build one from scratch if you want. I’ve done many audits.
In the situation above there are at least two processes:
- How can John make the best audit report? (Hard skills)
- How can John manage this kind of conflictual situations? (Soft skills).
The second question will trigger the most important process. Is his boss going to yell again? How should John react? What can John do so that the entire organization can benefit from less violent communication? However, it is also the less obvious one to address.
This is just one typical issue I’m going to talk about.
CTO of Pentalog Group, co-founder of AgileHub and manager at Pentalog Institute, Cornel FĂTULESCU is a passionate agile coach & trainer. With an incredible portfolio in IT Services and 15 years of experience, Cornel ventures Pentalog Institute in the challenging world of IT consultancy. As an agile advocate, he optimized business value delivered within various large scale organizations by implementing XP, Scrum and Kanban. “In my opinion, involvement in agile communities is like witnessing the inevitable metamorphosis of companies continuously progressing until the educational big bang occurs”. This is mainly the reason why Cornel co-created AgileHub in Brașov, probably the most dynamic Agile IT community in Romania, where he is a very important knowledge contributor.