CAMS General Assembly, Athens, 14-16 June 2016
Etienne Wey (Transvalor for CAMS-94 User Interaction)
What have we heard today?
(Potential) applications discussed
• Greek GEO office: user needs, regional data hub, including CAMS
• Stable isotope studies (CO2, N2): assess sources and sinks
• Improved AQ ensembles: weighting, sub-selection
• Air quality index forecasting in China: downscaling, diurnal variation, PBL
• Campaign flight planning (monsoon): CO, NOx, SO2, aerosols
• DNI nowcasting for concentrating solar technologies
• Summer UV dose risk / benefit (vitamin D)
• CALIPSO, EarthCare lidar extinction improvement by aerosol type classification
• NRT air temperature monitoring / heat wave risk and applications
Feedback, questions, issues
• CAMS boundary conditions very valuable for regional AQ system in China
• CAMS forecasts represent Asian monsoon in upper troposphere very well
• Today less air quality-focused than earlier user workshops
• Constellation of continental AQ initiatives based on CAMS (MAP-AQ)
• How to develop a downstream service from CAMS data?
• Easy access to CAMS data (3D fields)
Requirements (global services)
• CAMS boundary conditions (everywhere on the globe)
• Continued campaign support
• Collaboration on emission uncertainties
• Learn about reasons for differences / urban PBL effects
• flight planning support tool (DLR, direct coupling)
• Collaboration with Greek GEO office (East Mediterranean, Middle East, N. Africa)
-> stimulate new downstream services
• Isotopic / source-determined tracers CO2, N2 ?
• Water vapor (from isotopes, solar)
• Model extremely high PM2.5 values (~500 µg/m3)
• Cloudiness + cloud vectors
Requirements (regional services)
Seed questions for the discussion
• Which CAMS products are most relevant for you?
• What needs to change so that you use CAMS products?
• Which support do you need?
• Are there major gaps in the CAMS product portfolio?