(NOTE: Instead of words – there will be images) Here is a reminder of the facets of our world that are literally in breakdown. You’ll be pleased to know that I won’t be going into any of them in detail – that’s for another day But as leaders of enterprise you need to be very aware of the scope and scale of the issues because this is your shared reality. We live on this blue marble planet called Earth together and we have no alternative but to ensure she is healthy. But as entrepreneurs our gift is to see opportunities where others see problems. In fact creating solutions to these problems is the biggest growth industry on the planet and we have reason to be hopeful. Humanity has the capacity to both destroy the conditions that would support a comfortable life for all and risks destruction and devastation on an imaginable scale but at the same time we do have the capacity to create an amazingly different future. It’s up to us. Anna – put blue marble in middle
Since the emergence of the Corporation some 350 years ago, it has been a given that the purpose of a Corporation is to generate returns to the shareholders. Not everyone agreed with that – including such luminaries as Henry Ford and Richard Branson A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business - henry ford……
The Stakeholder Model….
Crossing the Chasm: Entrepreneurs as Agents of Change
DRIVERS OF CHANGE Sustainability of People & the Planet Anna Pollock, DestiCorp Sydney, September 8 th , 2011
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible Albert Einstein The challenge of leadership today is to look at seemingly hopeless situations with new eyes, to see possibility where others see none, to bridge the chasm of impossibility . John Renesch This decade is the first in history that offers the choice between being the last decade of a fading obsolete world or the first of a new and viable one. Ervin Laszlo
CROSSING THE CHASM Entrepreneurs as Agents of Change
Humanity is experiencing the biggest threat in its 2.6 Million year history Conscious entrepreneurs will determine whether we make it!
The future is disorder. A door like this has opened up only five or six times since we got up on our hind legs. It’s the best possible time to be alive, when almost everything you thought you knew was wrong. Valentine in Tom Stoppard’s play Arcadia
“ We are at that point of time when a four-hundred-year-old age is rattling in its deathbed and another is struggling to be born – with a shifting of culture, science, society and institutions enormously greater and swifter than the world has ever experienced…. Dee Hock, Founder of VISA and author The Birth of a Chaordic Organization
We are living through one of the most fundamental shifts in history – a change in the actual belief structure of western society. No economic, political, or military power can compare with the power of a change of mind . By deliberately changing their images of reality , people are changing their world. Willis Harman, Founder World Business Academy
Climate Change Unpredictablity Natural Hazards Biodiversity & Cultural Diversity Resource depletion: Energy & Minerals Food & Water Financial & Institutional System Population, Political & Social Stability
1. Connectivity led to Conversations Companies that don’t realise their markets are now networked person-to-person, getting smarter as a result and deeply joined in conversation are missing their best opportunity. 1999!
1. Connectivity Relationships became more important than transactions
1. Connectivity Power shifted from producer to customer
2. LOSS OF TRUST Leading to Greater personal accountability
“ intangible economy” Intangibles – brand equity, human capital, intellectual property now make up 60-80% of the market capitalisation of public companies. Source NASDAQ
3. Search for Meaning & Purpose Source: Edelman Good Purpose Study
3. Search for Meaning & Purpose A transition from material want to meaning want is in progress on an historically unprecedented scale and may be the principal cultural development of our age Gregg Easterbrook: The Progress Paradox
3. Search for Meaning & Purpose In 1989 there were more people aged over 40 than under and values shift as we grow older
2. Search for Meaning & Purpose Twenty-somethings desire their work to be transformational, not merely transactional. Is this a paradox we see within our young generation? They can be self-absorbed and are used to getting their own way, but sixty-one percent of Generation iY say they feel personally responsible for making a difference in the world Tim Elmore, Growing Leaders
3. Purpose & Behaviour Source: Richard Barrett – The Values Centre & Cecara Consulting
4. Humanisation of Business “ Well you know, I was a human being before I became a business man”. George Soros “ The idea that business is just about numbers is preposterous. I’m not good with numbers but I’ve done a reasonable job with feelings and it’s feelings that account for the success of Virgin’s brand’ Richard Branson
4. Humanisation of Business 100% of employees are people 100% of customers are people 100% of investors are people It’s no longer share of wallet but share of heart Humanistic companies seek to maximize emotional value first, then experiential value, then social value knowing they lead to financial value