TIPS AND TRICKS
10 Things to Remember
When Using Chat
Enter the Chat Room at least 5 minutes before your scheduled
Office Hours are to begin.
• Type a quick “I’m in” to let your students know you’re online. Do
not greet everyone personally as they join in or bid farewell
when they leave.
• Do not respond to every comment unless it’s specifically
addressed to you or if the discussion is proceeding down a
• Keep the conversations on point and class-related. Encourage
students to use Chat to develop peer-peer relationships (and to
spark other conversations) outside of your Office Hours.
• Remember that all Chats other than Private Chats are viewable
to the public and can be viewed in Chat Transcripts.
• The expectation may not be to apply MLA, APA etc. standards,
let your students know they should be aware of correct spelling
and grammatical errors while communicating through Chat.
• Use your Chat Room to spark brainstorming sessions. Enter an
idea about the week’s topic and encourage dialogue between
• Engage “quiet” students by typing questions directly to the
• Prepare participants for the next session by announcing the
topic before ending your current Chat session
• Review the Chat Transcripts or your notes and follow-up with
any students who had questions or misunderstandings.
UNIVERSITY ALLIANCE www.ﬂoridatechonline.com