Top 20 IT Hubs In India That Everybody Should Definitely Be Aware About!
The Information Technology (IT) and Information Technology Enabled Services (ITeS) sector has put India on the global map. While Bangalore continues to be the undisputed leader of the IT growth story in India, many other cities such as Chennai, Hyderabad, Pune and Delhi NCR have also established themselves as IT centres.
Recognising the immense potential that the sector holds, from time to time, Central and state government agencies have handed out sops and incentives for its promotion. This has resulted in the formation and proliferation of IT hubs across the country.
Thus, CommonFloor has compiled a list of the top 20 IT hubs in India that have spurred real estate growth in their neighbouring areas.
- Whitefield is one the country’s foremost IT destinations whose The
growth story was scripted in the early 2000s.
- The presence of developing physical infrastructure has fostered the
image of Whitefield and led to the growth of real estate in and around
- The area boasts of prominent developers that offer mid-range to luxury
- The extension of Namma Metro in its second phase and improving
infrastructure is expected to ease the worrying traffic situation
- Located 20 km from the city centre, the 332-acre Electronics City is one
of the largest industrial parks in the country housing global majors,
multinationals companies and iconic firms like Infosys and Wipro.
- With a large workforce employed in the area, a healthy mix of
affordable, mid-segment and luxury properties have been developed by
a several developers.
- The traffic problems around the area were partly resolved in with the
opening of the four-lane mixed corridor elevated highway from Silk
Board Junction to Electronics City.
#2 Electronic City
- The Sarjapur-Marathahalli stretch on the ORR has emerged as a major
IT hub and is home to several well-known IT companies.
- Factors such as easy connectivity, availability of land and government
subsidies and initiatives have led to the growth of this stretch as a
prominent IT hub and real estate centre.
- The ORR accounts for a large percentage of the total office space
absorption in Bangalore and this in turn has led to a spike for residential
properties along this stretch.
#3 Sarjapur – Marathahalli
Outer Ring Road
- Hyderabad Information Technology and Engineering Consultancy City,
abbreviated as HITEC City, is a major technology centre of Hyderabad.
- HITEC City comprises of IT parks such as L&T Infocity, Vanenburg
IT Park, Mindspace, Cyberabad SEZ, DLF IT SEZ, TCS Synergy Park
and built-to-suit campuses of several major technology companies.
- The area is counted among the most lucrative and well-established
commercial zones in Hyderabad. With maximum office absorption
supply in this zone, the neighbouring areas have seen a steady growth
of residential demand.
#1 HITEC City
- Gachibowli is a major IT suburb of Hyderabad located in the north-
west part of the city which has grown into a prominent software hub
for companies operating from Hyderabad.
- In a recent development, Google Inc has announced that it will build its
biggest campus outside the US in Gachibowli at an investment of Rs.
- The presence of another three major projects in Gachibowli and
around Gachibowli, are expected to give real estate a major impetus
- Perungudi is a suburb of Chennai located about 10 kilometres from the
town centre of Adyar.
- Once a small village, Perungudi has scripted a successful growth story
of a major IT hub over the last decade and is now home to over 50
major IT companies.
- The growth of social infrastructure along the OMR with the availability
of schools, hospitals, shopping malls and entertainment centres have
fostered the growth of real estate in and around Perungudi.
- Siruseri is a south-eastern suburb of Chennai located 25 kms from the
city along the OMR. Along with Perungudi, it is counted as a major IT
hub of Chennai and marks the end of the IT corridor along the OMR.
- The areas around Siruseri have witnessed tremendous real estate growth
over the last few years with Srinivasa Nagar emerging as prominent
housing complex in the area with many NRIs as property owners.
- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), has established its largest corporate
office in SIPCOT IT Park thereby putting Siruseri on the global map.
- Hinjewadi is located on the western fringes of Pune and has emerged as
one of the biggest IT hubs in the city.
- Originally a small village, it is now the located of a prominent IT park
known as Rajiv Gandhi Infotech Park housing major IT companies
such as Emcure, Henkel and Advinus.
- The area offers a mix of residential properties ranging from budget to
high end homes. The recent development of social infrastructure in the
form of malls and entertainment centres has further cemented
Hinjewadi’s image as a real estate and IT hub.
- Located along the eastern corridor of Pune, Kharadi has also emerged
as a major IT hub
- Kharadi is also in close proximity to established localities such as
Hadapsar, Magarpatta City, Viman Nagar, Chandar Nagar and
- The rapid growth of Kharadi into an IT destination can be attributed to
the presence of the EON Free Zone SEZ, commercial and residential
projects and its proximity to both Pune airport and Pune railway station.
- The presence of luxury hotels and shopping malls in Kharadi has also
bolstered its image as a prime residential destination of Pune.
- Gurgaon is one of the India’s fastest growing districts, having expanded
more than 70 per cent over the last one decade and is now home to
over a million people.
- Cyber City has emerged as a preferred working destination due to its
superior connectivity via Rapid Metro which connects six Cyber City
buildings by six operational stations.
- With this well-rounded development around Cyber City, the realty
market in neighbouring areas of Gurgaon has now crystallized into a
favourable one for end users and investors alike.
#1 Cyber City, Gurgaon
- With the fast-paced development of infrastructure in Noida and its
vicinity, real estate growth has picked up over the last few years.
- Upcoming major projects like the Export Promotion Zones and Taj
Economic Zone along the Yamuna Expressway are likely to give further
impetus to economic development in the area, thereby also boosting
- Rental affordability in this area compared to other micro markets such
as Gurgaon and other parts of Noida have been the clinching factor for
the growth of IT sector.
#2 Noida – Gr. Noida
- Rajarhat Newtown located in 24 Parganas district is a fast-growing
planned satellite city of Kolkata. This new IT and residential hub has
come up on the north-eastern fringes of Kolkata.
- Apart from a strong IT presence, the area also enjoys good connectivity
via Eastern Metropolitan Bypass and Belgharia Expressway connecting
it to the southern northern parts of Kolkata.
- Currently, work is in progress to connect Rajarhat via Metro to the
airport and the southern part of the city. All these factors combined
have led to a robust demand and growth for residential real estate in
Rajarhat and around Rajarhat.
- Salt Lake City is yet another planned satellite city located on the fringes
of Kolkata that was developed between 1958 and 1965 to accommodate
the growing population of the city.
- The IT hub of Salt Lake City is home to many notable IT/ITes
companies, both domestic as well as multinational. Industry majors such
as TCS, Wipro and IBM have presence in the area with over a lakh
people are said to be employed in Sectors III & V of Salt Lake City.
- Apart from IT professional directly employed within the area, property
seekers from other parts of the city have also been taking up properties
in Salt Lake City.
#2 Salt Lake City
- Airoli in Navi Mumbai has emerged as a prominent IT hub and is a part
of the Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR).
- The fortunes of this sleepy hamlet changed with the opening of the
Airoli-Mulund Bridge that connects the Eastern Highway with the
- Airoli has developed a strong IT eco-system that includes the iGate
Knowledge Park (previously known as Patni Knowledge Park), Reliable
Tech Park and Mindspace.
- With the development of an international airport and smart city
NAINA, the fortunes of Airoli and its real estate market are expected
- Powai, a North-eastern suburb of Mumbai has grown exponentially in
recent years to become one of Mumbai's business and residential hubs.
- The reasons include the environment, the quality of air, affordable as
well as premium properties in Powai and the profile of its residents.
The presence of prestigious IT companies in Powai has propelled the
growth of this prestigious micro market.
- Good infrastructure and the fact that it is situated at a height also add
to its appeal as one of the most prestigious addresses in Mumbai.
- Powai stands out as a clear candidate for excellent destination
development location because the Jogeshwari Vikhroli Link Road
offers good connectivity between the western and central suburbs.
- Kakkanad is a prominent business district of Kochi and home to the
Cochin Special Economic Zone (CSEZ). Being the IT hub of Kochi,
Kakkanad is where the second largest IT park of Kerala, the Kochi
Infopark is located
- Kakkanad is also being developed as New Kochi with a new township
coming up in the area.
- Apart from CSEZ, Infopark and Smart City and other business
establishments, the administrative centre of Ernakulam district is also
located close to this area. These factors provide a big advantage to
Kakkanad in its development as an IT and real estate hub.
- The largest IT establishment of Trivandrum, Technopark, is home to
several companies including Oracle, Infosys, TCS, Capgemini and IBS
- As part of its Phase IV expansion, Technopark is developing 450 acres
of land in Pallippuram, 5 km north of the main campus as Technocity.
- With the IT growth provided by Technopark, the area of
Kazhakoottam is witnessing a boom in real estate with most top
builders developing projects in Technopark. Technopark and the
upcoming Technocity are expected to further fuel this real estate
- Avinashi Road is an arterial road passing through Coimbatore and is the
hub of most of the city’s commercial activity.
- Running from east to west, this road connects Coimbatore to its airport
and the eastern and north-eastern suburbs.
- The area is in close proximity to the important IT centre of TIDEL
Park, which was set up in 2006 to foster growth of information
technology in other districts of Tamil Nadu.
- With TIDEL Park now employing thousands of employees, the real
estate scenario along Avinashi Road and other areas has visibly
- The Information Technology sector is expanding rapidly in Indore with
exports from the city’s maiden IT park, Crystal IT Park growing
- IT companies are increasingly looking at investing in Indore as there are
a large number of engineering colleges from where thousands of
talented engineers graduate every year.
- Apart from that, the air and rail connectivity to the city has improved
significantly. Meanwhile, the state government is also rolling out the red
carpet to IT companies and is working towards developing Indore as
the new IT destination.
- With several institutes of higher education, including an IIT,
Bhubaneswar is setting the foundation for becoming a hub for research
and technology startups in the eastern region.
- According to recent surveys among tier II & III cities, Bhubaneswar has
been chosen as among the best for conducting IT/ITeS business.
- The state government is fuelling this growth by development of IT
parks such as Infocity-1, Infocity-2, STPI-Bhubaneswar and JSS STP.
- Infocity was conceived as a five-star park under the Export Promotion
Industrial Parks (EPIP) Scheme to create infrastructural facilities for
setting up IT related industries.
CommonFloor.com is India's leading property search portal.
On a mission to make property search hassle-free, transparent and fruitful;
CF has best of breed property search on maps, property search mobile apps and
an extensive section for knowledge resources and advice in real estate.