When we looked around for the hottest women-owned firms, we had a few specific ideas in mind.
These firms had to be doing great work in the social media arena for clients.
They had to be doing a good job with their own companies’ social media.
They had to possess je ne sais quoi, that special something that made them stand out.
Numbers truly are only part of the equation. Being top in sales doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re being a great social citizen. Some of the highest grossing revenue firms we researched didn’t even list their social media on their site at all and that didn’t fit the goal here.
We wanted to feature women who not only led top PR firms, but who also led them using the guiding social values of engagement, community, and sharing. We hope these shining examples will serve to inspire you to up your game!
Women on Top: 10 Stellar PR Agencies Owned by Women
Women on Top: 10 Socially Stellar PR Agencies Owned by WomenWhen we looked around for the hottest women-owned ﬁrms, we had a few speciﬁc ideas in mind: These ﬁrms had to be doing great work in the social media arena for clients. They had to be doing a good job with their own companies’ social media. They had to possess je ne sais quoi, that special something that made them stand out.Numbers truly are only part of the equation. Being top in sales doesn’t necessarily mean thatyou’re being a great social citizen. Some of the highest-grossing revenue ﬁrms we researcheddidn’t even list their social media on their site at all and that didn’t ﬁt the goal here.We wanted to feature women who not only lead top PR ﬁrms, but who also lead them usingthe guiding social values of engagement, community, and sharing. We hope these shiningexamples will serve to inspire you to up your game!
1. Kim Julin Guyader and Jamie Lynn Sigler J Public Relations www.jpublicrelations.com With a tagline of “Don’t Let the Pink Fool You,” J Public Relations is owning the girl power. Their team page features an all-women staff, including founding partners Kim Julin Guyader and Jamie Lynn Sigler. They have offices in NYC and San Diego and are an award- winning firm specializing in luxury lifestyle and travel PR. Clients include W Hotels, Hard Rock Hotels, Hilton Hotels, and the hot spot magnates, the Gerber Group, among many others. Their site is all about social interaction. Their 11K Twitter followers plus a multi-platform social media outreach demonstrate their engagement. With photos on Flickr and a social media conversation swirling around them, we definitely aren’t letting the pink fool us. These ladies have it figured out and are walking the walk.Women on Top: 10 Socially Stellar PR Agencies Owned by Women
2. Grace Leong Hunter Public Relations www.hunterpr.com A quintessential Madison Avenue firm specializing in consumer products PR, Hunter is owned by a group of partners, many of whom are female. Listed by O’Dwyer’s as one of the top 25 highest grossing revenue firms, they have also been recognized as “Best Digital PR firm” in 2010 by PR News and as being a “Best Place to Work.” One glance at their site and you see social everywhere. The pictures they share are of smiling faces doing crazy and interesting things. They have a presence in multiple platforms and those social streams are engaged, fun, and conversational. Their blog is written by practically everyone in their ﬁrm. Full of character and colorful pictures, it tells the story of a company that is all about being social.Women on Top: 10 Socially Stellar PR Agencies Owned by Women
3. Margaret Dunning Widmeyer Communications www.widmeyer.com With Margaret Dunning as a principle, Widmeyer stands as a traditional ﬁrm adapting to social media. Focusing on educational, health and wellness, association, and public affairs PR, Widmeyer looks a bit new to the social media game, but deserves a thumbs up for how they are doing it. Of note is the management team’s dedication to social media processes. In staff proﬁles, they lead with autobiographical blurbs and photos. Every member of the team is on social and links to connect with them are easy to ﬁnd on each of their proﬁle feature pages. Everyone is in the game and they are all showing up, demonstrating admirable leadership and management buy-in to the social media attitude. Kudos!Women on Top: 10 Socially Stellar PR Agencies Owned by Women
4. Jennifer Prosek CJP Communications www.cjpcom.com Jennifer Prosek is the founder and CEO of CJP, where she leads many of the ﬁrm’s key accounts. Under her leadership, the ﬁrm has become a leading international public relations and ﬁnancial communications consultancy with ofﬁces in New York, Connecticut and London. CJP doesn’t yet have huge social numbers. But numbers don’t tell the only story. The noteworthy theme when it comes to social here is that of being real and human. Under Jennifer’s proﬁle picture (a shot of her drinking coffee in a casual blouse) is a Q&A icon. Click on it for a revealing interview about her likes and dislikes (her favorite food is octopus). We’d like to have coffee with Jennifer and that online-to-real-world leap is a big part what social is all about.Women on Top: 10 Socially Stellar PR Agencies Owned by Women
5. Liz Kaplow Kaplow Communications www.kaplowpr.com Liz Kaplow founded the ﬁrm in 1991 after a career in beauty, fashion, consumer health and lifestyle PR. As one of the more successful mid-level ﬁrms, Kaplow enjoys clients such as Avon, eBay, LeapFrog, Shiseido, Target, Timex, and others. With a decent showing on Twitter (~3,000) and across other platforms, Kaplow has done a great job on YouTube, showing 40,000+ views. The videos are behind-the-scenes shots of clients. They even serve up a video of their company in a Twitter training class. Combine the multi-platform approach with their personalized approach on the website, and we believe their overall social numbers are bound to rise. We’ll be keeping an eye on their progress, as should you.Women on Top: 10 Socially Stellar PR Agencies Owned by Women
6. Melissa Waggener Zorkin and Pam Edstrom Waggener Edstrom Worldwide www.waggeneredstrom.com The ﬁrm has grown from a two-person agency in 1983, with Melissa Waggener Zorkin and co-founder Pam Edstrom, into the world’s 2nd-largest independent communications company with over 800 employees. With a strong contingent of female management members, Waggener Edstrom is working it for the ladies. You can’t help but laugh when you read the social media streams here. What do an intern scavenger hunt, gimlets, and a giraffe in the ofﬁce have in common? They all live on the agency’s Facebook and Twitter streams. With strong numbers on their social media proﬁles, and a fun approach to engaging, this agency is living the social media values of being real, relevant, and sharable.Women on Top: 10 Socially Stellar PR Agencies Owned by Women
7. Donna Sokolsky Burke Sparkpr www.sparkpr.com Sparkpr was cofounded by Donna Sokolsky Burke in 1999 and has grown from a small startup into a leading global technology communications agency. Women are well represented in their management team, as well. One of the more interesting elements of the Sparkpr site is its commitment to actually engaging you via social media. On one page you see their Facebook badge, giving you the opportunity to like their fanpage. On another, you see their Twitter stream. On others, there are obvious share buttons, and on yet other web pages, videos are streamed. This multi-faceted presentation and commitment to a multi-platform presence on social demonstrates the ﬁrm’s willingness to be adaptive and responsive. Those traits rank high in the social media ecosystem.Women on Top: 10 Socially Stellar PR Agencies Owned by Women
8. Tina Elmowitz, Christine M. Barney, and Lisa K. Ross rbb Public Relations www.rbbpr.com Led by three powerful female partners – Tina Elmowitz, Christine M. Barney, and Lisa K. Ross – rbb is a three-time “PR Agency of the Year” award winner. Focusing on consumer, B2B, and Travel & Leisure, it’s a great example of a ﬁrm that’s fully engaged in social media. Via a multi-author blog, a rich social media presence, and a dynamic site, it’s clear that rbb is living social. For example, rbb’s site spotlights its Casa RBB ofﬁce makeover, in which staff renovated the space to suit the group’s personality. These same internal advocates have voted the ﬁrm a “great place to work.” Your employees are among the best brand advocates you can have, and rbb recognizes that social starts at home.Women on Top: 10 Socially Stellar PR Agencies Owned by Women
9. Lisa Simon Simon PR www.simonpr.com Founded by Lisa Simon in 1990 and partnered with WorldCom, the ﬁrm has won numerous awards over their 20 year history. Most recently, Simon was inducted into the Philadelphia Public Relations Association Hall of Fame. They are also present in social across multiple platforms. The ﬁrm’s values are imbued throughout their social and digital presence. Led by the principle of “Do it right,” much of what they feature on their site and social media presence is community service. When they list their capabilities, they also provide an extensive list of speciﬁc tactics they use. This openness is a very social behavior and, combined with their value focus, makes them a great addition to this collection of top women-owned PR ﬁrms.Women on Top: 10 Socially Stellar PR Agencies Owned by Women
10. Margaret Booth M Booth www.mbooth.com Founded in 1984 and acquired as a wholly owned subsidiary in 2009 by Next Fifteen Communications Group, the ﬁrm was named the 2009 Creative Agency of the Year, and has been counted among the 10 best places to work in PR. Founder, president and CEO Margaret Booth knows how to be social. Under her leadership, the agency’s client roster has grown to include American Express, Unilever, Hershey’s, Michelin and others. M Booth is another example of how to present your brand socially. When you visit its “About Us” page, the ﬁrst tab is labeled, “Our Soul.” With casual photos of staff and management, the company’s authenticity shines through. Authenticity is key in being successful in social media and M Booth makes you believe.Women on Top: 10 Socially Stellar PR Agencies Owned by Women
Women on Top: 10 Socially Stellar PR Agencies Owned by WomenIn PR, communications and marketing, it’s easy to fall into the trap ofbelieving your own announcements or messages. The women-owned PRﬁrms featured here demonstrate the values of social media in very notableways through fun engagement, casual conversation, transparentauthenticity, and an intentional focus on their communities, both internaland external.There are more women-owned and led ﬁrms out there that deserveattention. There is no way we could feature them all, so please share yourfavorites with us. And when it comes to women rocking the PR socialmedia world with style, grace, and competence, don’t let the pink foolyou!
Women on Top: 10 Socially Stellar PR Agencies Owned by Women Next on “The Pulse”: "Top 10 Picks for a Social Media Comeback Award”We’ll feature top brands and companies that took a bad situation and made it better by making great choices in how they interacted with their audiences on social media. www.marketwire.com www.sysomos.com Follow us on Twitter: @Marketwire, @Sysomos www.commpro.biz Follow us on Twitter: @Commprobiz