Vladimir propp & tzvetan Todorov's narrative theory
By Simone Collins
• Vladimir came up with a theory
that in every narrative there is
always a certain someone who
play certain roles.
• The Hero leads the narrative and is normally looking for
something or trying to solve something. This character
does not have to be a male.
• In Verses we have two Hero’s who are Declan Mulligan’s
parents. After his struggle throughout the film, torn
between his planned out life by his family or Poetry which
he would rather pursue, his family at the end understand
Declan’s passion for Poetry which eventually allows him
to pursue his career which he then Tours the World with
his new friend Adam McKenzie.
• The Villain in a film is the character who conflicts with the
• The popular group at Declan’s school are the villains in
our film. This is because they think that they are better
than everyone else in the school, making them think that
it is acceptable for them to pick on others. This is obvious
when Declan befriends the new boy Adam who is from a
lower background than everyone else. The popular group
do not like this and things get even worse when they find
out Declan’s hidden secret of a passion for poetry.
• The Heroine is simply some type of prize for the Hero.
For example if the Hero is a male, then the Heroine could
be a male. However this does not always have to be a
person, it could be an object that the Hero is gifted by.
• In Verses the Heroine is something that Declan and his
new friend have always wanted. There passions have
been accepted and all the grief that they have been given
from certain people has been forgotten with them coming
out as the bad ones and Declan and Adam getting what
• The father is an authority figure, of someone who offers a
reward to the Hero for completing their quest.
• We don’t have a father figure in our film Verses but
Declan’s parents in the end give to Declan what he
wanted. Also his new friend Adam helps him along the
way, boosting his confidence.
• This character helps the hero and is often known as a
• In Verses I think that Adam McKenzie becomes the
helper towards Declan. The more they get to know each
other, the more they spend time together. Also due to the
background Adam has compared to Declan, he is more
outgoing which brings out the better in Declan, helping
him further his poetry passion.
• The donor gives the hero something. This is normally a clue that
helps them complete their quest.
• This character type doesn’t appear in our film Verses.
• A mentor is the teacher who guides the hero.
• Again I think the mentor in Verses is Adam. This is
because he is the first person to find out Declan’s hidden
talent which he is passionate about, making him
persuade and guide Declan into achieving his dream as a
• Todorov came up with a theory, that
all narratives whatever is may be
contain 5 stages which are:
• PLOT- Declan is in the popular group at school and has
his life planned out by his family and friends.
• CHARACTER- Declan Mulligan
• PLOT- New boy Adam comes to the school and
befriends Declan which the popular group don’t like.
• CHARACTER- Adam McKenzie, Declan Mulligan & the
• PLOT- Adam finds Declan’s hidden secret which is
poetry. He tries to convince him to pursue it as a career.
Adam is really good at playing the guitar.
• CHARACTER- Declan & Adam
• PLOT- Declan tells his family what he really wants to do,
he sticks up for Adam in front of the popular group by
telling them off.
• CHARACTER- Everyone
• PLOT- Declan and Adam end up being supported by their
family, allowing them to pursue their chosen career. They
then tour the World together.
• CHARACTER- Declan, Adam, Parents & the popular