COM 102 Intro to Mass Media
Bringing it all Together
COM 102 Learning Outcomes
1. Demonstrate the ability to critically analyze
and evaluate mass media.
2. Differentiate strategies that media use to
influence consumer thinking.
3. Develop an awareness of how to approach
personal media consumption from a Christian
Critically Analyze and Evaluating
● Film: Citizen Kane 1941
● Plot: Citizen Kane was about a man who desired control and
power and how the desire for power and control will eventually
corrupt a person. Kane is the embodiment of this as he
desired to be happy. Therefore, he tried to find this in women,
money, power over people, and taking control of his
newspaper business. However, in the end this all passed
away and did not last. It was all destroyed and he with it. The
very thing that made him happy was a small sled with the
name “Rosebud” on it. This, to him, brought back the
memories of his younger life when he was a boy and lived
with his family.
Citizen Kane (cont.)
● The music score throughout the film depicts the symbolic aspects of the
film and emphasises the cinematography and what is going on in the story.
● The cinematography at the beginning of the film along with the score
depicts the aspect of power looming over people and how much people
● There was quite a controversy surrounding the film on another journalist
named William Randolph Hearst and how he tried to give other newspaper
companies a bad name.
● The cinematography and the music score were intentionally put together in
such a way to depict what it needed to. The opening scene depicts
looming buildings with music behind it which captures even more the
mystery and suspense of what is to happen next. The big broad minor
chords in the low-brass also capture this luminosity. The dissolves in the
transitional cinematography help to capture the dark tones as well.
How Media influences Consumer
● Print-ad Analysis:
● Microsoft Cloud ad in Popular Mechanics
● What it does: Microsoft Cloud is a service for businesses and other
organizations which is supposed to connect them across distances and be
able to move forward in productivity.
● Ad technique: The ad technique of the bandwagon approach is the
technique primarily used for this ad due to the people in the picture
appearing to be uniting for a single purpose and then the four arrow logo
which surrounds them. These pictures all indicate that the ad wants to
encourage other businesses to join this company and buy their product so
that they can have this kind of productivity and better Public Relations
which the Microsoft Cloud claims to be able to deliver through the various
tools it offers.
● Use of words and pictures shows the attempt to unite people together for
one purpose and that this very software will do that.
Developing an awareness of how to approach
Media from a Christian Worldview
● Newspaper Analysis: Wall-Street Journal
● The newspaper attempts to present a non-biased appraoch to
various kinds of articles.
● There was one article which can be found here online and in
print about Christians being persecuted.
● I thought the artilce was presented very professionally, but it
basically told the facts of the situation and notthe story behind
the facts. As a Christian I want to tell stories with whatever
medium I use- books, music, film- and tell stories which
matter. Stories are important to all of us which is why Jesus
used them so much in His Word.