Every Organization Has a Culture
• Either you proactively create it, nurture it, and improve it,
• Or you do nothing and a culture by default appears
At Kalon, We Proactively Create, Nurture, and
Improve our Culture
• Because we are Vision and Mission driven
Our Vision and Our Mission
• Our Vision: We aspire to be a firm whom our clients trust will listen to
them, advocate for them, and deliver for them, and where our
employees find purpose, mastery, and autonomy.
• Our Mission: Serving the interests of our clients by addressing their
legal challenges and opportunities so they can achieve their
We Created Our Culture Beginning With Our
• And from there we built a culture for our people.
Traditional Law Firms
• Are partner-owned, profit-driven, and conservative.
• We think these approaches encourage silo-thinking, a conflict with
clients, and decay
• We understand we serve our clients’ interests and seek to help them
achieve their goals.
• We know our employees are amazing people who seek purpose,
mastery, and autonomy in what they do here.
• To achieve our mission, we use design thinking.
• We listen; we frame the issue; we ideate; we prototype; we test; and
then we repeat the process.
• We think about the user (client) experience and how to improve it.
• We create a strategy that best meets the client’s objective.
• We pursue that strategy as a team, so a client gets more than a
lawyer; she gets the firm.
• At Kalon, our people are purpose driven.
• We also know that people seek mastery.
• So we offer them a learning process that that teaches them the Kalon
• Emotional Intelligence
• Getting Things Done
• We help our people create a DIY professional development plan.
• We serve as mentors and mentees to each other.
• Even though we work in teams, we encourage our people to be
autonomous, so they can chose how they work, be personally
responsible, and grow.
• What does this mean for our culture?
It Means at Kalon:
• We have a beginner’s mind, open to listening and finding new ways of
• We are humble, because we realize no one of us has all of the
• We are always growing;
• We take risks, because we know that is part of growth;
It Means at Kalon
• We are adaptable, because growth brings positive change;
• If we fall, we get up with everyone’s support;
• Each of us is accountable;
• We are ethical;
It Means at Kalon
• We pursue excellence;
• We are transparent;
• We have a flat hierarchy, and while not everyone has a vote in every
important decision, everyone has a voice;
• We get that life is short. We help you live it.