Slide share social media as a therapist superpower!_presentation
Social Media as a
(*the S is for Speech)
By Chris Wenger CCC-CLP
Quick New Tech Things
• Apple TV (w Epic!)
• IOS 10: What’s New???
• Magnifier, Motor (tvOS, switch) Dwell Control (headband, eye gaze), Vision (tint screen
a different color), Siri works in 3rd party apps, **delete preinstalled apps, WatchOS
• Sand Timer
• Sites: Channel One, ReadWorks.org, NewsELA
Twitter: How many users?
•300 million ‘monthly active users’
Top 5 Reasons why my colleagues aren’t on
• #5 “Because I’m not a teenager”
• #4 “Because I’m not a celebrity”
• #3“Because I don’t have a new smartphone”
• #2“Because the world doesn’t care what I’m eating for lunch”
• #1“Because I don’t understand it”
So what is Twitter?
• Twitter is a real-time information network made up of “tweets.”
What is a ‘tweet’?
• A tweet is a small burst of information (limited to 140 characters). **clip an
example on iPad w/ good tweet.
• You choose whose tweets you want to see by “following” Twitter users.
Why should an SLP/SLPA get on Twitter?
• Twitter: The New Speech Therapists Lounge
Connect with like-minded educators over the
•Lurking (40% of people on Twitter don’t
tweet but watch others who do.)
Usernames: Your handle @ or username, is your identity
(Who is this?)
• Hashtags begin with a # and make tweets searchable
• Direct Messages
• A direct message is a private message that can only be seen by
you and the person to who you are sending the message.
To Do List
• Sign up
• Upload a photo
• Create a short bio
• Download Twitter app
• Follow other SLPs
• Followers or Direct
• Photo Map
• Social Sharing
Great for CSHA (Sharing Content)
• Photos you take at events (like this one!)
• Photos already taken...news, publication
• *Tip: Space out posts, don’t post too frequently
• Share content that tells the story of a project, group, etc.
Awesome way for us all to stay together as a group in California!!!
#csha2016 #cshadistrict7 #cshadistrict10